RES: [ksurf] Re: Kitesurfing maturing?durable board

  • theflyingtinman
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca" <hungvu@n...> wrote:

      > ....No fin of course. Fins are too much work for so little impact
      > (negative sometimes). Varnish would work fine. Wood screw would work
      > fine but not as strong as some bolt system similar to a wakeboard
      > (useful when you want to experiment with different straps).

      Thanks - so, no fins and a coat of varnish it is. To mount the straps I
      already bought a bunch of stainless steel T-nuts, screws and washers
      online from McFeely's ( www.mcfeelys.com ) Good, quick service.
      Stainless T-nuts are hard to find locally - none of the hardware stores
      around here carry them.
      What do the DIY-ers use for good, low-cost pads and straps? I could
      put my spare sandal bindings on it but one of my motivations for making
      these ply boards is so I don't need to worry too much about loosing
      them when I start to ride leashless, so I'm trying to make them cheap
      and 'disposable'.

      Steve T.
    • georgeiw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
        for pads i cut them out of this foam rubber play room flooring from Home
        Depot. it is in the carpet section and it comes in a pack of 4 interlocking
        pieces. They are either grey or in a color pack of yellow, green, red and blue.
        Each piece can make about 4 pads and they can be sanded to a shape as well. I
        use a long box cutter blade 3/8" x 3" and you can cut through easily in 2
        passes. You can cut straight up and down or on a bevel.

        Around here we have used tow straps and seat buckle straps for the strap. I
        also buy the dakine, nsi and epic gear stuff. The wind surfer ones cost about
        16 bucks each which is not too bad.

        For the bolts my favorite are the barrel bolts from west marine. The barrel
        bolt is the nut but it had a screw head on the end and an internal threaded
        tube about 1/2 long. I use the 1/4 20s. You can simply drill a hole in the
        plywood and keep using them from board to board. I have also used brass threaded
        inserts from Rockler. you drill a 3/8" hole and screw in the piece which has
        a machine thread on the inside.

        The barrel bolts are very easy to use but expensive. about $5.00 each.
        Good luck
        George

      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "theflyingtinman"
          <theflyingtinman@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks - so, no fins and a coat of varnish it is. To mount the straps I
          > already bought a bunch of stainless steel T-nuts, screws and washers
          > online from McFeely's ( www.mcfeelys.com ) Good, quick service.
          > Stainless T-nuts are hard to find locally - none of the hardware stores
          > around here carry them.
          > What do the DIY-ers use for good, low-cost pads and straps? I could
          > put my spare sandal bindings on it but one of my motivations for making
          > these ply boards is so I don't need to worry too much about loosing
          > them when I start to ride leashless, so I'm trying to make them cheap
          > and 'disposable'.

          Steve,

          There are some types of bolt system that does not go through the
          bottom so that the bottom is completely flat (and look very nice too)
          with no holes in it. If you use the system that create holes on the
          bottom of the board, make sure you plug it with some epoxy. You can
          ask the guys at your local "Home Depot" store for all these various
          options.

          If you use water shoe (like I do as it could be very cold around here)
          then you just need to bolt some straps (a pair of windsurfing straps
          work just fine and cost around $15 US - A more kite specific pair of
          Dakine strap is more expensive around $30 to $40 US is better for more
          support). Don't use wakeboard binding system (even just sandal
          binding) as they are both expensive and add tons of weight to the board.

          Hung.
        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, georgeiw@a... wrote:
            > For the bolts my favorite are the barrel bolts from west marine.
            The barrel
            > bolt is the nut but it had a screw head on the end and an internal
            threaded
            > tube about 1/2 long. I use the 1/4 20s. You can simply drill a
            hole in the
            > plywood and keep using them from board to board. I have also used
            brass threaded
            > inserts from Rockler. you drill a 3/8" hole and screw in the piece
            which has
            > a machine thread on the inside.
            >
            > The barrel bolts are very easy to use but expensive. about $5.00 each.

            Sounds like the same bolt system I used; however my cost around $.50
            each from Home Depot ;-)

            Hung.
          • Greg Walsh
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
              I used Cabrinha binding plates with adjustable straps. They were only
              slightly more expensive than buying separate wide-style straps and
              stick-on pads. The aluminium plates make the board a bit stiffer
              under your feet and you can easily swap them between boards.

              I drilled holes straight through the board and put 1/4" stainless
              bolts up through the bottom. I used cup-washers to remove any chance
              of the bolts pulling through. If you put the washers on then tighten
              them super tight it flattens the washers a bit and cuts out the
              bottom layer of veneer. When you varnish the board it pools around
              the edge of the washers and you get a nice neat end.

              I didn't bother with fins because even cheap ones were really
              expensive. It works great without fins. I had one of my best ever
              sessions last weekend. I enjoyed the ply board so much I am selling
              my epoxy-carbon production TT. The ply is the funnest board I have
              used. :o)))

              Regards

              Greg
            • theflyingtinman
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2003
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, georgeiw@a... wrote:
                > for pads i cut them out of this foam rubber play room flooring
                > from Home Depot.

                Sound good, I'll look in at Home Depot on my way home tonight :-)

                > Around here we have used tow straps and seat buckle
                > straps for the strap.

                I have lots of very wide webbing for straps.

                > For the bolts my favorite are the barrel bolts from west
                > marine. The barrel bolt is the nut but it had a screw
                > head on the end and an internal threaded tube about 1/2
                > long. I use the 1/4 20s...
                > ...The barrel bolts are very easy to use but expensive.
                > about $5.00

                I bought these stainless steel T-nuts (also 1/4 x 20)...

                http://tinyurl.com/j4ma

                $15.50 for 4 boxes of ten.
                Sounds similar to your barrel-bolts but a lot cheaper
                and specifically designed for mounting to plywood. If you
                slightly contersink with a 3/4 flat wood-bit you get a
                comletely flush mounting.

                Steve T.