Re: [ksurf] How I started a forest fire with my kite

  • John F. Santos
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
      Haha I can't say if there was insulation on those wires or not, but my kite can sure vouch that there was voltage between the two lines it touched. POW! It was a small explosion and my aunt and uncle who were inside the house thought it was a transformer that blew up!

      mdavido@... wrote:lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
      although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
      there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
      (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
      that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
      punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
      west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

      http://www.KiteHIGH.com
      ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
      ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
      Em: support@...

    • theflyingtinman
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
        > lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
        > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
        > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
        > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
        > that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
        > punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
        > west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

        That sounds like a low, or 'domestic' voltage power line. (a short cable
        that runs between a transformer and a house) Relatively safe ... but power
        lines come in a whole variety of voltages and cable types. Some insulated
        some not.

        The very dangerous high-voltage transmission lines (which transmit power
        over long distances from the power stations) are uninsulated (mostly because
        a few millimeters of plastic woudn't be any use at all against hundreds
        of thousands of volts. That kind of voltage could drive deadly current
        through your kite lines (even if dry) and your body, if you flew a kite
        into them. They are always on high pylons but some transmission lines are
        well within reach of kitelines.

        Medium voltage distribution lines (thousands or tens of thousands of
        volts - the kind that run between substations or from substations to
        transformers) may be insulated but are most often not insulated.
        That voltage may not be capable of killing you through dry kitelines but
        could easily do so through wet or damp lines and would have no problem
        frying you if you if you got dragged up onto them. Just pulling those
        conductors together (or close) by wrapping a kiteline around them will
        cause violent arcing, destroy your gear and probably cause fires.

        It a good idea to keep kites as far as possible from power lines,
        especially if you are not sure of the differences between
        transmission lines, distribution lines and domestic overhead cables.

        Steve T.
      • Chris Glazier
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
          > > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines
          you would see that
          > > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another
          insulated cable
          > > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched
          it, and know
          > > that there is no current on the out side.

          Yes Steve T has it right. That is undoubtedly just a power line
          feeding a house or small building. These generally carry only 110 or
          220 volts (which is seldom fatal) and they are always well insulated.

          Look closely at a common telephone pole and you can often see 3
          distinct levels of wires. The lowest level is telephone and
          cablevision which is harmless. The medium level has 110 and 220volt
          lines which run to houses. Then at least 3 meters above that are the
          very dangerous high voltage lines of maybe 12 kilovolts (which is
          normally fatal). These are not insulated wires. They always sit on
          glass or ceramic insulators near the very top of the pole.

          Kite lines are made of spectra which is polyester and is a good
          insulator. If this were not true we would have many dead kiters from
          powerline incidents. Even kite lines wet with fresh water probably
          will not conduct electrity since fresh water is not a good
          conductor. I am not so sure however about a kite line that is
          soaking wet with salt water since salt water does conduct.

          There are often 2 or 3 or these high voltage lines running in
          parallel at the top of the pole. If they touch each other, a short
          circuit occurs and a small explosion happens as these wires
          vaporize.

          Obviously kites should not be flown near power lines.

          Chris G
          Electrical Engineer
        • gordon mitchell
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2003
            Hi, i recently saw a friend's lines hit the high tension wires on top a pole. There was a terrific flash and all four kite lines burnt through totally.He was ok, except for shell shock. mitch