At 104KG or 230 LB and light winds newbe question

  • ktbdrwtb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      Being 6'2" and 230LB I am looking for some advise. I am looking to
      purchase some equipment and I have not taken lessions yet so I am
      still trying to get background information.

      I have windsurfed a lot in the gorge and in San Francisco. I have
      snowboarded, waterskied and flown large competition four string
      delta kites for years. I am looking to combine all of these things
      in kiteboarding.

      My typical windrange where I live is 8 to 15 knots and I am looking
      for some equipment hints. I might be interested in trying a twintip
      board but I don't know what would be too large or small once I get
      past the initial learning stages. The same goes with Kite sizes.
      Articles just say to use one or two sizes larger but given the
      differences in manufacturers what does this really mean for my areas
      wind ranges?
    • hardcarve1
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ktbdrwtb" <ktbdrwtb@y...> wrote:
        > Being 6'2" and 230LB I am looking for some advise. I am looking to
        > purchase some equipment and I have not taken lessions yet so I am
        > still trying to get background information.
        >
        > I have windsurfed a lot in the gorge and in San Francisco. I have
        > snowboarded, waterskied and flown large competition four string
        > delta kites for years. I am looking to combine all of these things
        > in kiteboarding.
        >
        > My typical windrange where I live is 8 to 15 knots and I am looking
        > for some equipment hints. I might be interested in trying a twintip
        > board but I don't know what would be too large or small once I get
        > past the initial learning stages. The same goes with Kite sizes.
        > Articles just say to use one or two sizes larger but given the
        > differences in manufacturers what does this really mean for my
        areas
        > wind ranges?

        Don't worry about wind less than 12 knots with your weight, no kite
        will be fun for you in this wind. The kite you will need for the wind
        range you mentioned is the Rhino2 20 but this kite is just to big for
        you to learn on. I would say go for a Rhino2 16 to first learn on.
        The North kites have the best low down power of any kite out today.
        For a board the width is more important than length. I would say a
        board around 40 - 43cm would be best with a length of around 150cm.
        Alex
      • Emilia Naoumova
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
          Hi,
          I am dealing with kite gear and if you are realy intending to by your self some staff I can suggest you

          North Rhino II 16m /kite only/ - 1007. euro
          Cabrihna Vari Pro 148cm - 600.euro
          Naish 4 line carbon bar with lines incl. - 199.euro
          Cabrihna Impact waist XL - 80.euro

          We have many more in stock. Better prices then E-Bay. Best deallers online
          for more info go at http://www.onboardstore.com
          I see by your mail address that you are in Australia, so if you whant I can convert the prices for you in Aus.dollars or send me personal message to milaemi2000@...

          hardcarve1 <ajtaskov@...> wrote:
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ktbdrwtb" wrote:
          > Being 6'2" and 230LB I am looking for some advise. I am looking to
          > purchase some equipment and I have not taken lessions yet so I am
          > still trying to get background information.
          >
          > I have windsurfed a lot in the gorge and in San Francisco. I have
          > snowboarded, waterskied and flown large competition four string
          > delta kites for years. I am looking to combine all of these things
          > in kiteboarding.
          >
          > My typical windrange where I live is 8 to 15 knots and I am looking
          > for some equipment hints. I might be interested in trying a twintip
          > board but I don't know what would be too large or small once I get
          > past the initial learning stages. The same goes with Kite sizes.
          > Articles just say to use one or two sizes larger but given the
          > differences in manufacturers what does this really mean for my
          areas
          > wind ranges?

          Don't worry about wind less than 12 knots with your weight, no kite
          will be fun for you in this wind. The kite you will need for the wind
          range you mentioned is the Rhino2 20 but this kite is just to big for
          you to learn on. I would say go for a Rhino2 16 to first learn on.
          The North kites have the best low down power of any kite out today.
          For a board the width is more important than length. I would say a
          board around 40 - 43cm would be best with a length of around 150cm.
          Alex

          http://www.KiteHIGH.com
          ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
          ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
          Em: support@...

        • David Green
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
            Use your windsurf board in shallow water and see what
            happens.