Pin and Tube Release

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
      Hi Arcers

      I am working on the ultimate leashless safety system for my foils and
      looking to make some pin and tube releases.

      Are any of you regularly using a homemade pin and sliding tube
      release as your primary safety release?

      Any comments on how reliable it is? Does it always release when you
      want to? Does it ever prematurely release?

      Any construction tips? I have seen various ones made with stainless
      screws, or bent 1/8" stainless rod. Any ideas as to whether a split
      pin would be suitable? How about a short eye-bolt?

      None of the releases I have seen use any bungy to stop the tube
      sliding off prematurely. Has anybody any advice on this?

      Thanks

      Greg
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        > Are any of you regularly using a homemade pin and sliding tube
        > release as your primary safety release?
        > Any construction tips?

        Hi Greg
        Both Naish and North sell replacement chicken loops with built in
        pin/tube safety release. They cost about $25 US. They withstand
        hundreds of pounds of pressure and it would be hard to duplicate
        their mechanism with a homemade effort.

        A Naish or North dealer should be able to get them or
        www.bigwinds.com has them.

        Chris G