03 slingshot bar warning

  • kiteobsess
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
      If you have an '03 slingshot bar with the quick release shackle on
      the chicken loop, check to see that the release ball does not fit in
      the space where your hook attaches to your spreader bar. Mine did.
      I had just launched in some slightly flakey wind. The kite stalled
      briefly and I glanced down to see if the chicken loop had slipped off
      the hook. It had but the release ball was caught in the hook. That
      caused the shackle to release but the ball held the chicken loop. I
      could not have released the kite under power. Luckily I was able to
      quickly land the kite.
      I am going to somehow block the space on my dakine spreader bar where
      the hook attaches so the ball no longer can slip in there. Has
      anyone else had this problem?

      Bruce
    • Chris Glazier
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2003
        > I am going to somehow block the space on my dakine spreader bar
        where
        > the hook attaches so the ball no longer can slip in there.

        Bruce
        A quick effective block on your spreader bar is a few wraps of
        common electrical tape. This is black inexpensive tape and I think
        it is made of PVC. It is very water and weather proof.

        I also use it to cover small holes on my board.

        Chris G