Re: [ksurf] HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!

  • CC - Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Your problem is not directly related to the change in AR. Some High AR kites do not stall and fly backwards on tight rears. Seems to depend on design- attachment point position, center of effort. Since your
      kite will stall and fly backwards with too tight rear lines you need to set up your bar and lines so that it is not possible to stall the kite when you pull in on the bar. You do this by adjustiong the realtive length of
      your front and rear lines so that pulling in all the way does not stall your kite. I usually do this adjustment at the kite but it can also be done at the bar leaders. You need either longer rear lines or shorter front
      lines.

      Steve
      Carson City, Nevada, USA

      7/31/2003 1:12:08 AM, Yann Leroux <youtcham666@...> wrote:

      >HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!
      >HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!
      >
      >I've just bought a brand new kite with finally a pretty high AR (Storm II), and it looks as if all my kite skills would have gone away.... Please help.
      >
      >I was previously kiting with a Aero II (14m2) to the point where I belived tha kite flying had no longer any secret for me. I didn't even have to look at it, I knew by touching the bar where it was, what it needed
      and how he will react to my next move.

      >Yesterday I flew for the first time the Storm II (16m2), my first high AR (6.icon_cool.gif kite and what a disaster!!
      >
      >I have to clarify that:
      >- Wind was 8 knots
      >- the kite was not well tuned
      >- I stayed on the beach
      >
      >What I've experienced yesterday afternoon by switching from on kite to the other is:
      >
      >1. When you powered up a little the Aero, it tends to fly forward and deliver more power. When you powered up a little the Storm, it tends to fly backward in the windows, and if you release the bar it tends to
      fly forward but with no feeling of power or pressure in the bar. Therefore, the 4 lines trick if you want power pull otherwise push seems no longer to work.

      >2. Aero tends to fly on the backlines and Storm II on the front lines. What a difference!!!
      >
      >3. It was almost impossible to make the Storm climb from one side of the windows till the edge of the window. In comparation the aero was climbing 45 degrees, with no trouble at all
      >
      >4. Both kites on the fast turn trim. When trying to turn the Storm II, it lost its stability, either fell from the sky or went back to the middle of the windowsif there was no wind at all in it, and leave its C form, as the
      wing tips got much closer one to each other. In the same conditions Aero II could turn any degree without loosing its air.