Re: lanching and landing from a boat

  • dixon76710
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2003
      Im on a lake. If moderately powered or bigger kites in light wind I
      set up the kite on shore except for the leading edge. Double check
      the lines and CAREFULLY wind the lines. Wrapping one side only enough
      to lay the kite out flat. Put in one half hitch in the lines to the
      bar. Then wrap all four lines the rest of the way. Another half hitch
      at the end leaving just enough line to allow inflating the leading
      edge. Head out on the boat, point the bow (where I sit to blow up the
      leading edge with kite out in water) down wind and kill the engine.
      Friend holds strap on back of my harness and I undo the half hitch. I
      take one wrap of all four lines off at a time. Ill grab the bar and
      lines tightly on one end of the bar and unhook one wrap on the other
      end. My hand keeps a second wrap from coming off. BEFORE letting go
      with that hand I grab the other end tightly and unhook the next wrap.
      so on and so on. Get to the first half hitch I put in and usually
      jump in the water and then undo the last half hitch and final wraps
      of line. Usually puts you into leading edge down ready to waterstart.
      Higher winds or really powered up my kites flop around and float
      around up in the air while letting the lines out. Its doable but
      really need to be careful to not let successive wraps to be pulled
      off the bar uncontrolled. If more wraps from one side come off than
      the other you could end up with a half unwound but fully powered kite.
      So usually in high winds I do the same process except friend in the
      boat holds the kite and I swim upwind or cross wind from the boat as
      I unwind the lines. If someone inexperienced in the boat Ill swim
      straight upwind and a little to the side and they put it in to the
      water leading edge down, downwind from me. Someone that knows what
      there doing and you can do a side launch.
      Ideally in powered conditions we go to a couple of spots on the lake
      where you can get downwind of a point into a wind shadow. 10 yards or
      so past the edge of the shadow into the sheltered area(still some
      wind). Same process sitting on the bow except I let the lines
      completey out with kite downwind leading edge down. Friend starts the
      boat and idles towards the edge of the shadow and into the wind. I
      hop in as soon as the kite gets into the wind and relaunch. Also use
      this method behind a point without a boat most of the time. Same
      thing basically from shore and I walk out to the end of the point to
      get out of the shadow after letting the kite drift out.

      MARK