Re: [ksurf] lanching and landing from a boat

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
      I have successfully done it. i set up a detangle bar with 5 caribiners on it
      with loops on the end. (I had a 5th line for re-launch). My son was on an
      inflatable dinghy with a 100 foot rope attached to it. The boat was anchored.
      I stayed on the boat and he was on the dinghy with the kite and the struts
      inflated.
      The key is that as he moves away from the boat all of the lines are fed
      through the clips so that from the clip bar to the kite there are no tangles, they
      all stay at boat. When you get to the end of the lines you might have to undo
      one or two but you will not have all of the twists in the middle with no clue
      as to which way to spin.

      he then pumped up the strut and turned it up. I hopped in the water and
      launched the kite after it crabbed its way over to the side of the window. Once it
      was up he pulled him self back to the boat and followed me.

      That is the simple version. If you can reach the bottom and walk then it is
      much easier.
      If you want to make it a little more complicated you anchor the boat with a
      buoy so that you can untie the anchor and follow the person on the kite quickly
      without pulling up the anchor. If you have a third person and an inner tube
      or extra dinghy you can have the person who is going to launch the kite
      sitting in the inner tube or raft and about 15 feet behind the boat. The person
      driving the boat can go forward to help them get the kite in the air. Give a
      yank on the front line to get it up. If you get pulled hard by the kite going
      through the power zone you will be launched out of the tube or raft and
      harmlessly into the water with your board attached.

      Another idea is to attach the preinflated kite to the raft or tube with a big
      piece of velcro or a long rope and a slip knot. You can do this with a ram
      air foil if you preinflate it first.

      Lastly with three people and 2 anchors you can set the dinghy perpendicular
      to the main boat with a long rope with which you plan to pull the kite to the
      dinghy or the bar to the boat. This way you can launch from the side of the
      window.

      Good Luck,
      Clearly I thought about this too much. I have done it successfully twice.
      there used to be an example of a boat launch on the Flysurfer website but I do
      not have the link anymore.
      George