HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!

  • Yann Leroux
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
      HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!
      HELP! Transition from medium AR to high AR Kite!!!

      I've just bought a brand new kite with finally a pretty high AR (Storm II), and it looks as if all my kite skills would have gone away.... Please help.

      I was previously kiting with a Aero II (14m2) to the point where I belived tha kite flying had no longer any secret for me. I didn't even have to look at it, I knew by touching the bar where it was, what it needed and how he will react to my next move.

      Yesterday I flew for the first time the Storm II (16m2), my first high AR (6.icon_cool.gif kite and what a disaster!!

      I have to clarify that:
      - Wind was 8 knots
      - the kite was not well tuned
      - I stayed on the beach

      What I've experienced yesterday afternoon by switching from on kite to the other is:

      1. When you powered up a little the Aero, it tends to fly forward and deliver more power. When you powered up a little the Storm, it tends to fly backward in the windows, and if you release the bar it tends to fly forward but with no feeling of power or pressure in the bar. Therefore, the 4 lines trick if you want power pull otherwise push seems no longer to work.

      2. Aero tends to fly on the backlines and Storm II on the front lines. What a difference!!!

      3. It was almost impossible to make the Storm climb from one side of the windows till the edge of the window. In comparation the aero was climbing 45 degrees, with no trouble at all

      4. Both kites on the fast turn trim. When trying to turn the Storm II, it lost its stability, either fell from the sky or went back to the middle of the windowsif there was no wind at all in it, and leave its C form, as the wing tips got much closer one to each other. In the same conditions Aero II could turn any degree without loosing its air.

      I'm quite surprised as Storm II is said to be a very stable kite, good for wave riding. And what I have experienced is a nightmare of unstability.

      I have never read in the forum that the high AR were behaving so differently than the medium.

      Any advice would be gratelly appreciated.

      Many Thanks,
      Yannick