Re: [ksurf] How I started a forest fire with my kite

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8 11:18 PM
      In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:28:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      bamoffthelip@... writes:

      > I feel no need to provide additional information to prove its authenticity.
      > There's enough information in my narration for you to research it yourself.
      >
      > If your skepticism leads you to believe I made it up, be my guest. You have
      > a greater capacity to manufacture fiction than I do.

      Interesting response -
      But now that I see the pictures, it is truth-telling. Sequia Park is huge.

      For such an intelligent written article, you certainly made some very stupid
      mistakes.
      I don't think you are alone - kitesurf catalog is filled with them-
      in that category and I too, might wind up in it some day in a different
      capacity.

      But,
      by your sharing the Key Points
      1) Dont fly a kite closely, up wind of power lines.
      2) Dont hand a large kite to a beginner without a leash.
      maybe you can help other future dunderheads to not make that same mistake.

      If you aren't eventually charged for the fire, you should consider your self
      VERY lucky.
      If you are from the West or Calif, you must know they charge 'accidental'
      fires
      to careless people, all the time here.

      Not skeptical in LA

    • mdavido@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
        lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
        although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
        there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
        (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
        that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
        punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
        west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

      • John F. Santos
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
          Haha I can't say if there was insulation on those wires or not, but my kite can sure vouch that there was voltage between the two lines it touched. POW! It was a small explosion and my aunt and uncle who were inside the house thought it was a transformer that blew up!

          mdavido@... wrote:lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
          although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
          there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
          (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
          that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
          punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
          west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

          http://www.KiteHIGH.com
          ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
          ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
          Em: support@...

        • theflyingtinman
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
            > lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
            > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
            > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
            > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
            > that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
            > punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
            > west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

            That sounds like a low, or 'domestic' voltage power line. (a short cable
            that runs between a transformer and a house) Relatively safe ... but power
            lines come in a whole variety of voltages and cable types. Some insulated
            some not.

            The very dangerous high-voltage transmission lines (which transmit power
            over long distances from the power stations) are uninsulated (mostly because
            a few millimeters of plastic woudn't be any use at all against hundreds
            of thousands of volts. That kind of voltage could drive deadly current
            through your kite lines (even if dry) and your body, if you flew a kite
            into them. They are always on high pylons but some transmission lines are
            well within reach of kitelines.

            Medium voltage distribution lines (thousands or tens of thousands of
            volts - the kind that run between substations or from substations to
            transformers) may be insulated but are most often not insulated.
            That voltage may not be capable of killing you through dry kitelines but
            could easily do so through wet or damp lines and would have no problem
            frying you if you if you got dragged up onto them. Just pulling those
            conductors together (or close) by wrapping a kiteline around them will
            cause violent arcing, destroy your gear and probably cause fires.

            It a good idea to keep kites as far as possible from power lines,
            especially if you are not sure of the differences between
            transmission lines, distribution lines and domestic overhead cables.

            Steve T.
          • Chris Glazier
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
              > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
              > > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines
              you would see that
              > > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another
              insulated cable
              > > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched
              it, and know
              > > that there is no current on the out side.

              Yes Steve T has it right. That is undoubtedly just a power line
              feeding a house or small building. These generally carry only 110 or
              220 volts (which is seldom fatal) and they are always well insulated.

              Look closely at a common telephone pole and you can often see 3
              distinct levels of wires. The lowest level is telephone and
              cablevision which is harmless. The medium level has 110 and 220volt
              lines which run to houses. Then at least 3 meters above that are the
              very dangerous high voltage lines of maybe 12 kilovolts (which is
              normally fatal). These are not insulated wires. They always sit on
              glass or ceramic insulators near the very top of the pole.

              Kite lines are made of spectra which is polyester and is a good
              insulator. If this were not true we would have many dead kiters from
              powerline incidents. Even kite lines wet with fresh water probably
              will not conduct electrity since fresh water is not a good
              conductor. I am not so sure however about a kite line that is
              soaking wet with salt water since salt water does conduct.

              There are often 2 or 3 or these high voltage lines running in
              parallel at the top of the pole. If they touch each other, a short
              circuit occurs and a small explosion happens as these wires
              vaporize.

              Obviously kites should not be flown near power lines.

              Chris G
              Electrical Engineer
            • gordon mitchell
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2003
                Hi, i recently saw a friend's lines hit the high tension wires on top a pole. There was a terrific flash and all four kite lines burnt through totally.He was ok, except for shell shock. mitch