Very lightwind kite characteristics

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7 7:29 PM
      Having kitesurfed in very light wind every summer here are my wishes
      for a very light wind kite:

      1- Very light to be able to fly when none other kites can
      2- Very light to be able to (re)launch when none other kites can
      3- Accelerate very fast to make use of the apparent wind more
      efficiently
      4- Turn very fast to jump
      5- Very wide wind range (depowering/empowering) to handle gusts
      6- Not to technical (e.g. the C-Quad is an excellent light wind kite
      except that it requires "flawless" technique to harness its power - I
      have flown a C-Quad 10.5 and could not get as much power from it as a
      10m foil)
      7- As BIG as I want

      P.S., So a bigger kite is not neccessary a very light wind kite.

      Hung.
    • John F. Santos
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7 9:48 PM
        Check it out

        http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12141

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Marleau Belanger
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7 10:04 PM
          Any charges against you?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8 2:21 AM
            In a message dated 7/7/2003 10:05:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time, marzz0@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8 7:14 AM
              Read the narration. It was deemed non-billable.

              Marleau Belanger <marzz0@...> wrote:Any charges against you?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8 7:24 AM
                I feel no need to provide additional information to prove its authenticity. There's enough information in my narration for you to research it yourself.

                If your skepticism leads you to believe I made it up, be my guest. You have a greater capacity to manufacture fiction than I do.

                LA2WNDSRF@... wrote:
                In a message dated 7/7/2003 10:05:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time, marzz0@...
                must be a made up post to make a made up point -

                nobody can admit to being that ignorant of obvious points
                they so readily admit to, so soon after this incident.
                what newspaper was the fire incident reported to?
                can it be verified ?
                Skeptical in LA

                http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                Em: support@...

              • Kite Power (Sydney)
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8 6:58 PM
                  G'day John
                  Thanks for posting your misadventure, it takes courage to do that, but helps
                  begginers to see dangers that are not immediately apparent to them.
                  For years and years all land kites were sold with no safety leash at all.
                  This must now change, and I suggest you send your post to the kite dealer
                  that sold you the kite and direct to the manufacturer too.
                  What you needed on that kite is kite killers, and all land kites from
                  Flexifoil now come with them, Ozone are working on their version right now.
                  (these are my 2 main brands of land kites)

                  Kite Killers are just two wrist cuffs connected to the brake lines and your
                  wrists, let go of the handles, and the kite reverses out of the sky and sits
                  on the ground with very little power (at least with foils). I know they will
                  work ok on a c-quad, as I have tested them on a 2.6 I had a while ago.

                  Very glad there was no loss of life or major property damage, it has been
                  real bad for fires in CA for a couple of years now hasn't it?

                  I guess the 8.5 is just a burned mangled mess? I have seen the results of
                  kites in power lines, never been involved personally though and never want
                  to.
                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au

                • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 8 11:18 PM
                    In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:28:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    bamoffthelip@... writes:

                    > I feel no need to provide additional information to prove its authenticity.
                    > There's enough information in my narration for you to research it yourself.
                    >
                    > If your skepticism leads you to believe I made it up, be my guest. You have
                    > a greater capacity to manufacture fiction than I do.

                    Interesting response -
                    But now that I see the pictures, it is truth-telling. Sequia Park is huge.

                    For such an intelligent written article, you certainly made some very stupid
                    mistakes.
                    I don't think you are alone - kitesurf catalog is filled with them-
                    in that category and I too, might wind up in it some day in a different
                    capacity.

                    But,
                    by your sharing the Key Points
                    1) Dont fly a kite closely, up wind of power lines.
                    2) Dont hand a large kite to a beginner without a leash.
                    maybe you can help other future dunderheads to not make that same mistake.

                    If you aren't eventually charged for the fire, you should consider your self
                    VERY lucky.
                    If you are from the West or Calif, you must know they charge 'accidental'
                    fires
                    to careless people, all the time here.

                    Not skeptical in LA

                  • mdavido@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                      lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
                      although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
                      there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
                      (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
                      that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
                      punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
                      west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

                    • John F. Santos

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
                          > lol and i thought i was close to powerlines when i was 60+ ft. away...
                          > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines you would see that
                          > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another insulated cable
                          > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched it, and know
                          > that there is no current on the out side. The risk would come if you were to
                          > punchure a hold or cut the black insulated wire. mabye its different out
                          > west, i dont know but thats just my experence.

                          That sounds like a low, or 'domestic' voltage power line. (a short cable
                          that runs between a transformer and a house) Relatively safe ... but power
                          lines come in a whole variety of voltages and cable types. Some insulated
                          some not.

                          The very dangerous high-voltage transmission lines (which transmit power
                          over long distances from the power stations) are uninsulated (mostly because
                          a few millimeters of plastic woudn't be any use at all against hundreds
                          of thousands of volts. That kind of voltage could drive deadly current
                          through your kite lines (even if dry) and your body, if you flew a kite
                          into them. They are always on high pylons but some transmission lines are
                          well within reach of kitelines.

                          Medium voltage distribution lines (thousands or tens of thousands of
                          volts - the kind that run between substations or from substations to
                          transformers) may be insulated but are most often not insulated.
                          That voltage may not be capable of killing you through dry kitelines but
                          could easily do so through wet or damp lines and would have no problem
                          frying you if you if you got dragged up onto them. Just pulling those
                          conductors together (or close) by wrapping a kiteline around them will
                          cause violent arcing, destroy your gear and probably cause fires.

                          It a good idea to keep kites as far as possible from power lines,
                          especially if you are not sure of the differences between
                          transmission lines, distribution lines and domestic overhead cables.

                          Steve T.
                        • Chris Glazier
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                            > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, mdavido@a... wrote:
                            > > although if you have ever been in a tree high up near powerlines
                            you would see that
                            > > there is one thick cable (to hold up the lines) and another
                            insulated cable
                            > > (about the thickness of an extension cord). i have even touched
                            it, and know
                            > > that there is no current on the out side.

                            Yes Steve T has it right. That is undoubtedly just a power line
                            feeding a house or small building. These generally carry only 110 or
                            220 volts (which is seldom fatal) and they are always well insulated.

                            Look closely at a common telephone pole and you can often see 3
                            distinct levels of wires. The lowest level is telephone and
                            cablevision which is harmless. The medium level has 110 and 220volt
                            lines which run to houses. Then at least 3 meters above that are the
                            very dangerous high voltage lines of maybe 12 kilovolts (which is
                            normally fatal). These are not insulated wires. They always sit on
                            glass or ceramic insulators near the very top of the pole.

                            Kite lines are made of spectra which is polyester and is a good
                            insulator. If this were not true we would have many dead kiters from
                            powerline incidents. Even kite lines wet with fresh water probably
                            will not conduct electrity since fresh water is not a good
                            conductor. I am not so sure however about a kite line that is
                            soaking wet with salt water since salt water does conduct.

                            There are often 2 or 3 or these high voltage lines running in
                            parallel at the top of the pole. If they touch each other, a short
                            circuit occurs and a small explosion happens as these wires
                            vaporize.

                            Obviously kites should not be flown near power lines.

                            Chris G
                            Electrical Engineer
                          • gordon mitchell
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 6, 2003
                              Hi, i recently saw a friend's lines hit the high tension wires on top a pole. There was a terrific flash and all four kite lines burnt through totally.He was ok, except for shell shock. mitch