Re: [ksurf] CABRILLO SEMI-BAN (no kiting summer weekends)

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2003
      Your message was too long.
      Please keep it brief.

      BTW, Tom, since you are Mr Safety-
      why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites at
      Cabrillo Beach, especially since Cabrillo is so 'dangerous'?

      You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.

      Hope your back is repairing nicely too. The beach isn't the
      same with out seeing you on your Guerilla Kite and single fin
      "dagger board", I bet that goes to windward real nice. No wonder
      you go up wind two miles or more. I've never seen another kiter
      in Calif. use a single 6 inch fin in the middle of a directional board.

      How does it jump? I've never seen you jump in the past months.
      You used to jump all the time, what's up ?

      Scott

    • kiteboard2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
        > Your message was too long.

        Sorry. I like to be thorough For you & others with limited time
        please see below for a VERY brief synopsis.

        > why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites

        I do.

        > You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.

        I do.

        > ...your Guerilla Kite and single fin
        > "dagger board", I bet that goes to windward real nice. No wonder
        > you go up wind two miles or more.

        Yes, the Guerilla goes upwind great. The fin makes no difference. I
        get upwind quicker on a LiteWave 136.

        > I've never seen ... a single 6 inch fin in the middle of a
        directional board.

        It replaced 4 stock fins. Easier/cheaper to experiment with
        different sizes, only one tip vortex & endplate interference area,
        and always running at a positive angle of attack (unlike any toe side
        fin on a kiteboard - look at your wake sometime). They used to use 3
        fins on sailboards too, remember?

        > How does it jump?

        It jumps great, like any directional board.

        > I've never seen you jump in the past months.
        > You used to jump all the time, what's up ?

        I haven't even ridden at all in the last month & a half. Prior to
        that I'd only recently switched to the Guerilla, which (like any new
        kite) takes a while to get the jump timing down, especially when the
        winds are unseasonably poor. I do ride far upwind, so you may not
        SEE me jumping. Also, if I'm not powered up the right amount* to
        jump well, I don't usually bother, especially within easy viewing of
        the beach, where you can whip the kite back perfectly & have a lull
        reduce your jump height to an embarrasing few feet.

        *overpowered is not as good as just right.

        Here's the "Reader's Digest" version of my previous post:

        > yeah those things happen all the time.
        > not.

        On the contrary, bystander injuries DO happen.

        > a slap on the face by a kite is nothing

        Not if it knocks a bystander over (especially on the rocks).

        > - who is rep'ing us at Cabrillo?

        Me.

        > Mr D Gallet knows more than we do.

        No, he doesn't.

        > just ask the nice people to catch your kite.

        Ha ha! Good one!

        > - better yet say it in your best spanish

        Sorry. No habla Espanol.

        > drop the kite in the water and reel it in.-

        Good idea, as long as you can do that before it touches a bystander,
        & you don't mind inconveniencing other riders with your downed lines.

        > why be afraid of your own shadow...?

        Only the WIND shadow of the cliffs scares us.

        > ...lifeguards ...no...kiters have
        > even shown them how to hold a kite in a depowered position

        We've TOLD them. You're welcome to show them yourself. Just make
        sure you show them to grab one TIP & hang on HARD before moving to
        make the lines slack, since that's the only method which works for
        all kites.

        I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding here on
        weekends

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
          In a message dated 7/8/2003 1:02:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          kiteboarder@... writes:

          > I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding here on
          > weekends

          I dont - things will change - watch

        • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
            kiteboarder@... writes:

            > >why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites
            >
            > I do.
            >
            > >You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.
            >
            > I do.

            nope, still don't believe you and i've asked all the other '6 regular kiters'
            at kabrillo if you
            have and they can't recall ANY.
            I talked with a kiter at kabrillo today - well, I wont go into it.
            A Reminder:
            By catching or helping others launch kites correctly at kabrillo-
            You could save us from losing our kiting privileges.

            Or you could save others from breaking things too -
            BUT You are not the only one that doesn't help, - Phil only helps his buddys.
            And
            Ken has helped me, his friend, only 1/2 the time. The lifeguards watching
            from the Taj Mahal, only see a problem get worse,
            if a kiter doesn't help a fellow kiter.
            please change in this direction Tom, when you get better to kite again.

          • John F. Santos
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
              Dude, you are passive-agressive, condescending, insolent and self-righteous.

              Perhaps if you improved your interpersonal skills and stopped pontificating your fellow kiters would be more inclined to help you.

              -John Santos

              kiteboarder@... writes:

              > >why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites
              >
              > I do.
              >
              > >You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.
              >
              > I do.

              nope, still don't believe you and i've asked all the other '6 regular kiters'
              at kabrillo if you
              have and they can't recall ANY.
              I talked with a kiter at kabrillo today - well, I wont go into it.
              A Reminder:
              By catching or helping others launch kites correctly at kabrillo-
              You could save us from losing our kiting privileges.

              Or you could save others from breaking things too -
              BUT You are not the only one that doesn't help, - Phil only helps his buddys.
              And
              Ken has helped me, his friend, only 1/2 the time. The lifeguards watching
              from the Taj Mahal, only see a problem get worse,
              if a kiter doesn't help a fellow kiter.
              please change in this direction Tom, when you get better to kite again.

              http://www.KiteHIGH.com
              ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
              ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
              Em: support@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                In a message dated 7/9/2003 7:55:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                bamoffthelip@... writes:

                > Perhaps if you improved your interpersonal skills and stopped pontificating
                > your fellow kiters would be more inclined to help you.
                >
                > -John Santos

                dude
                i do fine thanks
                good luck your self -
                even ToDd helps me occassionaly
                but he might not help yOu.
                Shut up & Kite
                Scott in LA

              • kiteboard2000
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                  > kiteboarder@p... writes:
                  >
                  > > I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding
                  here on
                  > > weekends
                  >
                  > I dont - things will change - watch

                  If they do change it will mean we'll be banned all the time.
                  Kiteboarding summer weekends at Cabrillo is an accident (& subsequent
                  ban) waiting to happen. Who has the most experience kiteboarding at
                  Cabrillo? Me. Do I ever go on summer weekends? No.

                  P.S. You say my post was too long, but you have time to write four of
                  your own!

                  Prevent bans: Don't ride at crowded super-gusty beaches!

                  Mel
                • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                    In a message dated 7/9/2003 10:26:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    kiteboarder@... writes:

                    > If they do change it will mean we'll be banned all the time.
                    > Kiteboarding summer weekends at Cabrillo is an accident (& subsequent
                    > ban) waiting to happen. Who has the most experience kiteboarding at
                    > Cabrillo? Me. Do I ever go on summer weekends? No.

                    sky falling ? Nope, not yet.

                    And who has experience with wind sports at
                    Kabrillo longer? Me - even longer than Greg E. ,
                    Wayne Boyd is a kabrillo waterman longer than me, so what?
                    I've seen hot weekdays more crowded than cool weekends.

                    I've seen, talked with and held
                    meetings with City & County lifeguards, Harbor Police,
                    LAPD, City & County Officials many times in the
                    past on many issues. Things can be worked out.

                    For Example: Jetskiing & Powered watercraft were
                    severely injurying and killed a windsurfer at Kabrillo Beach -
                    remember?

                    Who came up with the idea to establish a non-powered
                    area for windsurfers inside LA Harbor ? (That a certain
                    retailer was against in the beginning.)

                    It was that idea that I presented to Jeff Jones, Jim & Jack -
                    And with their expertise & help, the Harbor Dept adopted it
                    & presented it, along with a 5 mph zone, at a meeting
                    as as solution to controling the powered watercraft.

                    It was implemented temporarily and it soon was made permanent
                    as a workable solution to prevent further death & injury

                    It wasn't perfect, jetskiers still violate it daily.
                    But it is 50-70% effective.

                    Hmmmm, so, jetskiers have crippled & maimed individuals
                    as well as kill them, at kabrillo beach yet they haven't been
                    banned from Kabrillo. Instead, A defined area was set aside
                    for them for egress & ingress, as
                    well as their own beach area.

                    Their is hope for kiters that have done
                    none of the above to anyone,
                    (other than injure themselves.)

                    Things can be worked out.
                    Have faith in the power of good in man,
                    as well as the power of evil
                    and progress can be made.

                  • kiteboard2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 12, 2003
                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                      > sky falling ? Nope, not yet.
                      >
                      > And who has experience with wind sports...

                      Shut up & kite (just not at Cabrillo).