Re: [ksurf] Digest Number 2751

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hi Rick
      Another point to tack on the end of this excellent safety message, is that
      leaving a kite flapping in high winds dramatically reduces the life of any
      brand of kite.
      Nothing is more motivating than the hi pocket nerve, for some people.
      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Subject: PROPERLY ANCHOR YOUR KITE

      Just saw this on the BKSA list:

      http://www.sickair.tv/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=2749&PagePosition=1

      A 60 year old man apparently was wrapped and dragged along the beach by a
      poorly anchored kite and suffered a broken rib.

      1. Do not leave kites rigged and unattended.

      2. At a minimum, always take the lines off of unattended kites in light to
      moderate winds. MAKE SURE you have piled adequate sand over several points
      along the kite.

      3. A BETTER APPROACH and an essential one if winds are strong or gusty, is
      to deflate your leading edge and roll, tie your kite if you leave it
      unattended. Afterward, thoroughly anchor the rolled kite.

      These sort of accidents are EASILY AVOIDED! Use common sense and look after
      yourself, others and our access, don't take things for granted.

      I just came across another report from the UK on a related subject:

      "Also general carnage here on the beach with kites being blown over beach as
      people thought a few "rocks" would hold kites down - not a good idea as
      highest gust here was 44mph at 15:15."

      I remember a notable incident that happened in South Africa a while back
      involving a runaway kite that was launched by a dog (?), and caused a bit of
      chaos. Anyway, higher winds and loose kites are no joke and to are to be
      avoided. I have watched fairly heavily anchored kites unanchor themselves in
      solo launching position in high winds. If they are anchored leading edge
      down they might be a bit more stable in higher winds. Still nothing is as
      stable as deflating the leading edge, rolling, tying and anchoring the
      resulting ripstop nylon burrito.

      Have others seen or heard about other incidents involving kites coming
      unanchored and flying off downwind to cause problems?
      FKA, Inc.
      transcribed by: Rick Iossi