Re: [ksurf] CABRILLO SEMI-BAN (no kiting summer weekends)

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
      In a message dated 6/30/2003 7:25:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      kiteboarder@... writes:

      > Prevent bans: Leash your kite

      Always do.
      damn shame - there was 'only 3 kiters' & 6 windsufers on the water last
      Saturday and only 1 group of 5 mexican shore waders between the rocks & grass on
      the beach during two hours that I kited. Nobody else.
      It was the only Beach in So Cal that had decent wind.
      So Sunday, was the 'last straw' of a wrapping with a kite & lines on some
      beach people.

      This means even if the beach is empty we can't use it to launch from on the
      weekends !

      We should ask them if they would consider a 'permission to launch' request,
      in situations like these - like they have at Malibu?

      We can keep asking them until they say yes.

    • kiteboard2000
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

        > damn shame - there was 'only 3 kiters' & 6 windsufers on the water
        last
        > Saturday and only 1 group of 5 ... shore waders...

        It would likely only take one kiter, injuring one wader, to get us
        banned completely.

        > So Sunday, was the 'last straw' of a wrapping with a kite & lines
        on some
        > beach people.

        I hadn't heard that. Did it really happen? (if so, then we have a
        specific person to thank for the ban) Proof of my statement above?
        Proof that the ban is a good pre-emptive move to avoid any serious
        ban-inducing incidents?

        > This means even if the beach is empty we can't use it to launch
        from on the
        > weekends !

        The problem is that while the beach may be empty when you launch,
        there could be one person standing in the exact wrong spot when you
        need to land. That happens to me frequently even after sunset on
        weekdays.

        _____________________________
        Prevent bans: Leash your kite.

        Mel
      • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2003
          >would likely only take one kiter, injuring one wader, to get us
          >banned completely.
          like a finger removal - yeah those things happen all the time.
          not. a slap on the face by a kite is nothing, their are degrees
          - who is rep'ing us at Cabrillo? better talk to G Ecker -

          >So Sunday, was the 'last straw' of a wrapping with a kite &lines on some
          >beach people.

          <I hadn't heard that. Did it really happen? (if so, then we have a
          >specific person to thank for the ban) Proof of my statement above?
          >Proof that the ban is a good pre-emptive move to avoid any serious
          >ban-inducing incidents?
          heard something from the best source available - Mr D Gallet.
          he knows more than we do.

          >This means even if the beach is empty we can't use it to launch
          from on the
          >weekends !

          > The problem is that while the beach may be empty when you launch,
          > there could be one person standing in the exact wrong spot when you
          > need to land. That happens to me frequently even after sunset on
          > weekdays.

          Phooie.....just ask the nice people to catch your kite and then they will
          walk away,
          no problem - better yet say it in your best spanish- then they'll go away for
          sure!!
          drop the kite in the water and reel it in.- why be afraid of your own shadow,
          OR
          is the sky really falling?

          best to do all talking with lifeguards face to face - heck, know kiters have
          even
          shown them how to hold a kite in a depowered position- they need some talking
          to.
          Hope your recovery is going fine.
          sign me - another pain-in-the-ass
          Scott

        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2003
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

            > >would likely only take one kiter, injuring one wader, to get us
            > >banned completely.
            > like a finger removal - yeah those things happen all the time.
            > not.

            So far I only know of kiters getting their own fingers removed by
            kitelines, but I'd rather not wait for it to happen to a bystander &
            get us all banned completely, possibly even a county-wide ban. Out-
            of-control kites can & do cause bystander injuries. Recently an
            elderly man was lifted & slammed, breaking his ribs (ban pending). A
            while ago a woman's cheek was badly cut (leading to a kite-flying ban
            on that beach). There have been other incidents recently reported on
            the SCKA newsletter. Aren't you on their mailing list?

            > a slap on the face by a kite is nothing, their are degrees

            A slap on the face by a kite could very easily lead to some pretty
            serious injuries to a bystander already struggling to safely climb
            across the big jagged rocks between the parking lot & the sand.

            > - who is rep'ing us at Cabrillo? better talk to G Ecker -

            Unless something's happened that I don't know about, I am the SCKA
            rep for Cabrillo (& you already talked to me) :-) I've discussed
            these matters at length with lifeguard Captain Ken Atkins.

            > >So Sunday, was the 'last straw' of a wrapping with a kite &lines
            on some
            > >beach people.
            > heard something from the best source available - Mr D Gallet.
            > he knows more than we do.

            I spoke with Daniel Gallet & he doesn't know of any kite incident at
            Cabrillo on Sunday. He was told that there may have been an incident
            on Friday. I'll try to get the details from the instigator himself.

            > just ask the nice people to catch your kite and then they will
            > walk away,
            > no problem

            Now I know you're joking. Anybody familiar with Cabrillo conditions
            would never ask for inexperienced assistance. Counting on somebody
            to get out of your way when you ask for help is equally uncertain,
            especially considering that they don't even realize where "in the
            way" is. It's often very hard even for an expert to catch another
            expert's kite here, due to the edge of the window shifting all over
            the place (due to extreme, sudden variations in wind speed &
            direction).

            > - better yet say it in your best spanish- then they'll go away for
            > sure!!

            What about those of us who don't speak any spanish at all?

            > drop the kite in the water and reel it in.- why be afraid of your
            own shadow,
            > OR
            > is the sky really falling?

            The only shadow that scares us (should scare you too) is the WIND
            shadow downwind of the cliffs where we need to launch & land. Yes,
            landing in the water is an option, but apparently some of you think
            that "only" 5 people within a line length doesn't count as "crowded",
            so if the rule was that it's okay to launch if the beach is vacant,
            but you have to land in the water outside the swimmers/surfers if
            it's crowded, there will still be a high likelihood of injuring one
            of those 5 people when you get lifted &/or dragged by one of the
            frequent big gusts because you didn't want to get your kite wet.

            > best to do all talking with lifeguards face to face - heck, know
            kiters have
            > even
            > shown them how to hold a kite in a depowered position- they need
            some talking
            > to.

            We may not have SHOWN them, but we certainly TOLD them (via a very
            carefully worded document around a year ago). If you think they need
            to be shown, but that they're afraid to ask, nobody's stopping you
            from showing them. Just make sure you tell them to grab one TIP &
            hang on HARD before moving to make the lines slack, since that's the
            only method which works for all kites (tube or tubeless). They do
            need to know, but only so they can safely rescue us. That wouldn't
            help increase safety for the general public, even if they were to
            wait on the beach just to help us land, so it has nothing to do with
            the subject line.

            I've spent nearly 950 hours kiteboarding at Cabrillo, & I have always
            avoided summer weekends, because it's often nearly impossible to
            maintain an acceptable degree of public safety even on weekdays,
            which are MUCH less crowded. Public safety would be jeopardized if
            kiteboarding was permitted here summer weekends, & the inevitable
            bystander injury would most likely result in a complete ban, which
            could be county wide, & obviously none of us wants that.
          • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 6, 2003
              Your message was too long.
              Please keep it brief.

              BTW, Tom, since you are Mr Safety-
              why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites at
              Cabrillo Beach, especially since Cabrillo is so 'dangerous'?

              You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.

              Hope your back is repairing nicely too. The beach isn't the
              same with out seeing you on your Guerilla Kite and single fin
              "dagger board", I bet that goes to windward real nice. No wonder
              you go up wind two miles or more. I've never seen another kiter
              in Calif. use a single 6 inch fin in the middle of a directional board.

              How does it jump? I've never seen you jump in the past months.
              You used to jump all the time, what's up ?

              Scott

            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                > Your message was too long.

                Sorry. I like to be thorough For you & others with limited time
                please see below for a VERY brief synopsis.

                > why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites

                I do.

                > You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.

                I do.

                > ...your Guerilla Kite and single fin
                > "dagger board", I bet that goes to windward real nice. No wonder
                > you go up wind two miles or more.

                Yes, the Guerilla goes upwind great. The fin makes no difference. I
                get upwind quicker on a LiteWave 136.

                > I've never seen ... a single 6 inch fin in the middle of a
                directional board.

                It replaced 4 stock fins. Easier/cheaper to experiment with
                different sizes, only one tip vortex & endplate interference area,
                and always running at a positive angle of attack (unlike any toe side
                fin on a kiteboard - look at your wake sometime). They used to use 3
                fins on sailboards too, remember?

                > How does it jump?

                It jumps great, like any directional board.

                > I've never seen you jump in the past months.
                > You used to jump all the time, what's up ?

                I haven't even ridden at all in the last month & a half. Prior to
                that I'd only recently switched to the Guerilla, which (like any new
                kite) takes a while to get the jump timing down, especially when the
                winds are unseasonably poor. I do ride far upwind, so you may not
                SEE me jumping. Also, if I'm not powered up the right amount* to
                jump well, I don't usually bother, especially within easy viewing of
                the beach, where you can whip the kite back perfectly & have a lull
                reduce your jump height to an embarrasing few feet.

                *overpowered is not as good as just right.

                Here's the "Reader's Digest" version of my previous post:

                > yeah those things happen all the time.
                > not.

                On the contrary, bystander injuries DO happen.

                > a slap on the face by a kite is nothing

                Not if it knocks a bystander over (especially on the rocks).

                > - who is rep'ing us at Cabrillo?

                Me.

                > Mr D Gallet knows more than we do.

                No, he doesn't.

                > just ask the nice people to catch your kite.

                Ha ha! Good one!

                > - better yet say it in your best spanish

                Sorry. No habla Espanol.

                > drop the kite in the water and reel it in.-

                Good idea, as long as you can do that before it touches a bystander,
                & you don't mind inconveniencing other riders with your downed lines.

                > why be afraid of your own shadow...?

                Only the WIND shadow of the cliffs scares us.

                > ...lifeguards ...no...kiters have
                > even shown them how to hold a kite in a depowered position

                We've TOLD them. You're welcome to show them yourself. Just make
                sure you show them to grab one TIP & hang on HARD before moving to
                make the lines slack, since that's the only method which works for
                all kites.

                I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding here on
                weekends

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/8/2003 1:02:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  kiteboarder@... writes:

                  > I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding here on
                  > weekends

                  I dont - things will change - watch

                • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
                    kiteboarder@... writes:

                    > >why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites
                    >
                    > I do.
                    >
                    > >You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.
                    >
                    > I do.

                    nope, still don't believe you and i've asked all the other '6 regular kiters'
                    at kabrillo if you
                    have and they can't recall ANY.
                    I talked with a kiter at kabrillo today - well, I wont go into it.
                    A Reminder:
                    By catching or helping others launch kites correctly at kabrillo-
                    You could save us from losing our kiting privileges.

                    Or you could save others from breaking things too -
                    BUT You are not the only one that doesn't help, - Phil only helps his buddys.
                    And
                    Ken has helped me, his friend, only 1/2 the time. The lifeguards watching
                    from the Taj Mahal, only see a problem get worse,
                    if a kiter doesn't help a fellow kiter.
                    please change in this direction Tom, when you get better to kite again.

                  • John F. Santos
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                      Dude, you are passive-agressive, condescending, insolent and self-righteous.

                      Perhaps if you improved your interpersonal skills and stopped pontificating your fellow kiters would be more inclined to help you.

                      -John Santos

                      kiteboarder@... writes:

                      > >why don't you help other kiters launch kites and catch kites
                      >
                      > I do.
                      >
                      > >You need to live up to your own safety words, buddy.
                      >
                      > I do.

                      nope, still don't believe you and i've asked all the other '6 regular kiters'
                      at kabrillo if you
                      have and they can't recall ANY.
                      I talked with a kiter at kabrillo today - well, I wont go into it.
                      A Reminder:
                      By catching or helping others launch kites correctly at kabrillo-
                      You could save us from losing our kiting privileges.

                      Or you could save others from breaking things too -
                      BUT You are not the only one that doesn't help, - Phil only helps his buddys.
                      And
                      Ken has helped me, his friend, only 1/2 the time. The lifeguards watching
                      from the Taj Mahal, only see a problem get worse,
                      if a kiter doesn't help a fellow kiter.
                      please change in this direction Tom, when you get better to kite again.

                      http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                      ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                      ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                      Em: support@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                        In a message dated 7/9/2003 7:55:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        bamoffthelip@... writes:

                        > Perhaps if you improved your interpersonal skills and stopped pontificating
                        > your fellow kiters would be more inclined to help you.
                        >
                        > -John Santos

                        dude
                        i do fine thanks
                        good luck your self -
                        even ToDd helps me occassionaly
                        but he might not help yOu.
                        Shut up & Kite
                        Scott in LA

                      • kiteboard2000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:

                          > kiteboarder@p... writes:
                          >
                          > > I agree with the lifeguards' decision to prevent kiteboarding
                          here on
                          > > weekends
                          >
                          > I dont - things will change - watch

                          If they do change it will mean we'll be banned all the time.
                          Kiteboarding summer weekends at Cabrillo is an accident (& subsequent
                          ban) waiting to happen. Who has the most experience kiteboarding at
                          Cabrillo? Me. Do I ever go on summer weekends? No.

                          P.S. You say my post was too long, but you have time to write four of
                          your own!

                          Prevent bans: Don't ride at crowded super-gusty beaches!

                          Mel
                        • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                            In a message dated 7/9/2003 10:26:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                            kiteboarder@... writes:

                            > If they do change it will mean we'll be banned all the time.
                            > Kiteboarding summer weekends at Cabrillo is an accident (& subsequent
                            > ban) waiting to happen. Who has the most experience kiteboarding at
                            > Cabrillo? Me. Do I ever go on summer weekends? No.

                            sky falling ? Nope, not yet.

                            And who has experience with wind sports at
                            Kabrillo longer? Me - even longer than Greg E. ,
                            Wayne Boyd is a kabrillo waterman longer than me, so what?
                            I've seen hot weekdays more crowded than cool weekends.

                            I've seen, talked with and held
                            meetings with City & County lifeguards, Harbor Police,
                            LAPD, City & County Officials many times in the
                            past on many issues. Things can be worked out.

                            For Example: Jetskiing & Powered watercraft were
                            severely injurying and killed a windsurfer at Kabrillo Beach -
                            remember?

                            Who came up with the idea to establish a non-powered
                            area for windsurfers inside LA Harbor ? (That a certain
                            retailer was against in the beginning.)

                            It was that idea that I presented to Jeff Jones, Jim & Jack -
                            And with their expertise & help, the Harbor Dept adopted it
                            & presented it, along with a 5 mph zone, at a meeting
                            as as solution to controling the powered watercraft.

                            It was implemented temporarily and it soon was made permanent
                            as a workable solution to prevent further death & injury

                            It wasn't perfect, jetskiers still violate it daily.
                            But it is 50-70% effective.

                            Hmmmm, so, jetskiers have crippled & maimed individuals
                            as well as kill them, at kabrillo beach yet they haven't been
                            banned from Kabrillo. Instead, A defined area was set aside
                            for them for egress & ingress, as
                            well as their own beach area.

                            Their is hope for kiters that have done
                            none of the above to anyone,
                            (other than injure themselves.)

                            Things can be worked out.
                            Have faith in the power of good in man,
                            as well as the power of evil
                            and progress can be made.

                          • kiteboard2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 12, 2003
                              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
                              > sky falling ? Nope, not yet.
                              >
                              > And who has experience with wind sports...

                              Shut up & kite (just not at Cabrillo).