KEEP IT LOW AND GO ...!!!

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 4:56 PM
      The following is part of a thread located at:

      [quote="kiteboarder@..."]

      "As to being "back in the saddle", after over 5 weeks it still hurts to just
      lift a board, let alone ride one. I strongly advise against considering
      doing anything as foolhardy as I did (flying my kite carefully through
      zenith on soft sand)."

      Time cures most things but it can sure seem like a LONG while getting to
      that point sometimes. Best speed in getting over your injuries and back to
      normal.

      I wish the majority of riders in my part of Florida, why not the entire
      state could read your views about avoiding flying kites near the zenith
      while near hard objects. BECAUSE we have strong gusty winds so rarely, most
      riders don't think twice about parking their kites straight overhead and
      LEAVING it there. Most of the time, they get away with it but NOT always.

      We DO HAVE sudden 15 to 40 mph gusts ABOVE background windspeed many times a
      year however during squall activity. It seems like there are still quite a
      few riders with minimal awareness or sensitivity to the hazards or
      kiteboarding near squalls, even today. Five of these guys had their kites
      ripped away from them at one time in such a squall gust some months back.
      There too are the lofting accident victims including a coma victim in
      Pompano last year.

      Also, I was teabagged for the first time in years last Saturday by a sudden
      build up in winds to around 35 mph from wind in the low to mid teens.
      There was no obvious squall line just uniform gray skys with sustained winds
      in the low teens. I was on a 17 m BT and was being leviated about 10 to 15
      ft. off the water and teabagging higher with each lofting, well offshore
      fortunately. I depowered the kite, free fell about 15 ft. to the water and
      swam in. If I had been onshore when this substantial increase in sustained
      winds, there is a good chance that I would have been treated to a dragging
      pending popping my quick release and depowering of the kite. If I had the
      kite parked near the vertical, I would have been lofted at speed downwind
      into trees for a richly deserved and potentially serious injury.

      I used to get upset to see guys with their kites parked overhead. However
      given the common practice of this self-destructive practice, I am becoming a
      bit more numb to it. Best wishes for few injuries to those guys who insist
      on learning the absolute need to "keep it low and go." That is launch your
      kite near the water following careful preflighting, keep your kite within 15
      to 20 ft. of the surface and go offshore immediately. NEVER have your kite
      much higher than 20 ft. off the surface when you are near (within 200 ft.?),
      of hard objects.** Some guys just INSIST on a nasty practical
      demonstration of what is common knowledge in gusty areas like Cabrillo and
      Maui, it is really too bad.

      Some ideas on one approach for launching with photos appears at:

      http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5521

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi