Re: [ksurf] Mel's lofting

  • flkiter
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003

      > Goodspeed, Mel!
      >
      > At Cabarete, Zenith parking is a way of life. EVERY rider does
      it.
      > EVERY instructor teaches it. Park you kite and eat a sandwich
      hooked
      > in. Side on 25 knots. Palms and hotels be dammed. I don't know
      what
      > to think. - new rider.

      I for one NEVER fly my kite at zenith, especially at places like
      Cabarete. I have seen many riders that do this, and it almost always
      ends in a dangerous situation.
      On Saturday I was at one of our local spots and the wind was cranking
      dead on shore and gusting between 10 and 25 (nice huh?) Our local
      instructor was there flying a foil (I won't mention the brand) and he
      was continuously flying it straight over head. There was a very crazy
      uplift going on right at the waters edge, and his kite kept colapsing
      and then reopening right in the power zone. I suggested that he fly
      it down near the water to prevent this and he told me that these
      foils don't fly like that. I had to hold his harness (as his feet
      were off the ground the whole time) and walk him out in the water so
      he could put his board on. To make a long story short, his kite ended
      up in the trees THREE times that day! I helped him the firat two
      times but the last time he was on his own. Each time this happened
      there were people straight downwind of him. And remember, this is an
      instructor! I just don't get it.
      Kite-on,
      GK