Re: young children kitesurfing

  • stuartdbenson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
      Thanks for the replies to this post (and the similar one on the
      kitesurf school site). To clarify, my kid is 6, first got dragged by
      a foil stunt kite (which I'd set up on a kitesurf bar) at 3, gave it
      up for two years, but has now picked it up incredibly quickly to the
      extent he does his own tricks on the beach. Ke can keep it in the
      air indefinitely even in 15 mph winds - better than many adults. He
      wants to kitesurf (like his daddy!) but I am nervous about it. I
      wondered whether anyone else had relevant experience, assuming this
      would be enough to deter him. I think the answer is yes, I have got
      enough ammo to deter him for a while. To me the big issue is being
      able to swim comfortably out of danger, and being old and wise
      enough to know what danger is.

      I think the general consensus is right; six is too young. What the
      actual youngest reasonable age is I don't yet know and anyway it
      will vary from child to child. Frankly my experience of the beach is
      that there are still many "adults" too young to be doing this
      dangerous sport!

      To those who have suggested windsurfing, yes but even the kid rigs I
      have tried are too heavy for him at the moment. Some people have
      suggested wakeboarding; does anyone know how/where to get a
      wakeboard small and light enough?
    • theflyingtinman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
        One important point ...
        The size of kite a (presumably) lightweight child will need
        in any given wind to kiteboard is much smaller than that
        required for a larger person ... and therfore much more sensitive
        to input AND capable of flying much faster and therefore generating
        exponentially large amounts of lift. (The only kite that ever
        dragged me face-first down the beach was my arc 460 when it got into
        a spin in wind I could have probably handled with my 840!)

        I'm not against very young kids learning extreme sports when the
        playing field is level (my friend's child had his first solo paragliding
        flight at 7 and was flying comps by 10) but it seems to me that in
        kitesurfing the nature of the equipment stacks the odds against very
        young kids simply because of their weight - and that's before you even
        consider their underdeveloped motor skills.

        Steve T.