Re: young children kitesurfing

  • rohin156
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      im sorry but how qualified are you to make the judge between 6 and 12?
      what is the difference?

      why dont u get them used to the power zone with stunt kites and then
      get them on those little trainer kites. they are tiny and dont pull
      much but i am sure they wood get a 18-20kg kid around without getting
      them into too much trouble.

      just keep them away from objects and others like you have said and
      teach them the main thing to let go if they get scared which i am sure
      they will.

      it is the future....
      just look at the ski slopes, lakes, and beaches.
      sure u cant control the weather, but what can you control?

      <stuart.benson@u...>
      > wrote:
      > > Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
      > > I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues
      have
      > > to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only
      and
      > > no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty!
      > > also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and
      > jump,
      > > then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
      > > appreciated.
    • kitesurf73
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
        started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
        early 90 s......

        And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
        conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the dangers
        that could be involved with kiteboarding...

        I just dont se the point of letting a kid kiteboard untill he can
        deside for him self wats a dangerous situation etc..The brain of a 6
        years is not mature enough to make this desition.....

        When there is other simular sports like wake boarding skate boarding
        snowboarding...

        I cant say the exact age when its right to kite for a kid i think it
        depends on the individual kid but defenetly 6 years is to young....

        If you start kiteboarding in you early teens and have done less
        dangerous but similar sports there is no absolut no reason why you
        couldnt be the future of kite boarding and you might live that long
        to......If the talent is there its there....

        and about controll yore right i cant controll everything...

        But you cant compare letting youre kid ski in a childslope or surf in
        30 cm surf.......

        I would rather let my 6 years old kid learn how to drive a car then
        kitesurf......

        Kitesurfing is a pretty tiny sport compared to others but still u
        here almost every month/week people getting killed badly hurt cause
        of squall bad knowledge or pure stupidity...****How many dies in 10
        degress child slope or even get badly hurt******

        Kiting is ****** DANGEROUS***** its an extrem sport doesnt matter
        how much you wegiht to be able to go upwind the power is needed is
        pretty much for WHAT EVER WEIGHT YOU HAVE IN RELATION TO WHATEVER
        KITE YOU USE.........

        And to give that power in the hands of 6 years old kid is *****nuts***

        And if you dont intend to let the kid go upwind Or your intention is
        just to try an getting him use to the water or whatever you are
        thinking..... Then wats the point???? Then there is other sports to
        let him get us to water or board riding.........

        The kite skill he can get on land with a stunt kite in safe light
        wind.........

        Thanks and by..........

      • tim_spam
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          Hi Guys,

          as someone who teaches several hundred new comers to kite flying each
          year, I will pass on some observations.

          Children from 5-8 CAN be taught to fly kites safely (2 line stunt
          kites) but they are far slower to teach than anyone else mainly due
          to a lack of fine motor skills and a lack of ability to comprehend
          concepts.

          8-12 year olds are fairly easy to teach as they have some good fine
          motor skills and are able to understand concepts such as wind
          direction and power. We have had kids this age flying foils and
          buggying. I still wouldn't put them near the water if they were mine
          though.

          12+ about the minimum age I would even consider getting anyone near
          the water on a board (bearing in mind kids do kite surf younger than
          that) By 12 they have learned some better skills and are more likely
          to be able to get themselves out of trouble and enjoy kitesurfing.

          Regards

          Tim Mellor
          Kite House
          Australia

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kitesurf73" <kitesurf73@y...> wrote:
          > I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
          > started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
          > early 90 s......
          >
          > And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
          > conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the
          dangers
          > that could be involved with kiteboarding...

          BIG SNIP
        • stuartdbenson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
            Thanks for the replies to this post (and the similar one on the
            kitesurf school site). To clarify, my kid is 6, first got dragged by
            a foil stunt kite (which I'd set up on a kitesurf bar) at 3, gave it
            up for two years, but has now picked it up incredibly quickly to the
            extent he does his own tricks on the beach. Ke can keep it in the
            air indefinitely even in 15 mph winds - better than many adults. He
            wants to kitesurf (like his daddy!) but I am nervous about it. I
            wondered whether anyone else had relevant experience, assuming this
            would be enough to deter him. I think the answer is yes, I have got
            enough ammo to deter him for a while. To me the big issue is being
            able to swim comfortably out of danger, and being old and wise
            enough to know what danger is.

            I think the general consensus is right; six is too young. What the
            actual youngest reasonable age is I don't yet know and anyway it
            will vary from child to child. Frankly my experience of the beach is
            that there are still many "adults" too young to be doing this
            dangerous sport!

            To those who have suggested windsurfing, yes but even the kid rigs I
            have tried are too heavy for him at the moment. Some people have
            suggested wakeboarding; does anyone know how/where to get a
            wakeboard small and light enough?
          • theflyingtinman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
              One important point ...
              The size of kite a (presumably) lightweight child will need
              in any given wind to kiteboard is much smaller than that
              required for a larger person ... and therfore much more sensitive
              to input AND capable of flying much faster and therefore generating
              exponentially large amounts of lift. (The only kite that ever
              dragged me face-first down the beach was my arc 460 when it got into
              a spin in wind I could have probably handled with my 840!)

              I'm not against very young kids learning extreme sports when the
              playing field is level (my friend's child had his first solo paragliding
              flight at 7 and was flying comps by 10) but it seems to me that in
              kitesurfing the nature of the equipment stacks the odds against very
              young kids simply because of their weight - and that's before you even
              consider their underdeveloped motor skills.

              Steve T.