Re: young children kitesurfing

  • kitesurf73
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      Its a bad idea..... To many thing can go wrong you can never controll
      the weather.... I wouldent learn any kid to kite surf until he is at
      least 12 y....Its just no point to start that early then its much
      bettter board sport like skateboard snowboard even wake board where
      you could controll things better.....

      Give him a stunt kite to learn and forgett about kitboarding for a
      couple of years.......

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "stuartdbenson" <stuart.benson@u...>
      wrote:
      > Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
      > I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues have
      > to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only and
      > no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty! I
      > also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and
      jump,
      > then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
      > appreciated.
    • rohin156
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        im sorry but how qualified are you to make the judge between 6 and 12?
        what is the difference?

        why dont u get them used to the power zone with stunt kites and then
        get them on those little trainer kites. they are tiny and dont pull
        much but i am sure they wood get a 18-20kg kid around without getting
        them into too much trouble.

        just keep them away from objects and others like you have said and
        teach them the main thing to let go if they get scared which i am sure
        they will.

        it is the future....
        just look at the ski slopes, lakes, and beaches.
        sure u cant control the weather, but what can you control?

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kitesurf73" <kitesurf73@y...> wrote:
        > Its a bad idea..... To many thing can go wrong you can never
        controll
        > the weather.... I wouldent learn any kid to kite surf until he is at
        > least 12 y....Its just no point to start that early then its much
        > bettter board sport like skateboard snowboard even wake board where
        > you could controll things better.....
        >
        > Give him a stunt kite to learn and forgett about kitboarding for a
        > couple of years.......
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "stuartdbenson"
        <stuart.benson@u...>
        > wrote:
        > > Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
        > > I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues
        have
        > > to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only
        and
        > > no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty!
        > > also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and
        > jump,
        > > then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
        > > appreciated.
      • kitesurf73
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
          started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
          early 90 s......

          And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
          conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the dangers
          that could be involved with kiteboarding...

          I just dont se the point of letting a kid kiteboard untill he can
          deside for him self wats a dangerous situation etc..The brain of a 6
          years is not mature enough to make this desition.....

          When there is other simular sports like wake boarding skate boarding
          snowboarding...

          I cant say the exact age when its right to kite for a kid i think it
          depends on the individual kid but defenetly 6 years is to young....

          If you start kiteboarding in you early teens and have done less
          dangerous but similar sports there is no absolut no reason why you
          couldnt be the future of kite boarding and you might live that long
          to......If the talent is there its there....

          and about controll yore right i cant controll everything...

          But you cant compare letting youre kid ski in a childslope or surf in
          30 cm surf.......

          I would rather let my 6 years old kid learn how to drive a car then
          kitesurf......

          Kitesurfing is a pretty tiny sport compared to others but still u
          here almost every month/week people getting killed badly hurt cause
          of squall bad knowledge or pure stupidity...****How many dies in 10
          degress child slope or even get badly hurt******

          Kiting is ****** DANGEROUS***** its an extrem sport doesnt matter
          how much you wegiht to be able to go upwind the power is needed is
          pretty much for WHAT EVER WEIGHT YOU HAVE IN RELATION TO WHATEVER
          KITE YOU USE.........

          And to give that power in the hands of 6 years old kid is *****nuts***

          And if you dont intend to let the kid go upwind Or your intention is
          just to try an getting him use to the water or whatever you are
          thinking..... Then wats the point???? Then there is other sports to
          let him get us to water or board riding.........

          The kite skill he can get on land with a stunt kite in safe light
          wind.........

          Thanks and by..........

        • tim_spam
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            Hi Guys,

            as someone who teaches several hundred new comers to kite flying each
            year, I will pass on some observations.

            Children from 5-8 CAN be taught to fly kites safely (2 line stunt
            kites) but they are far slower to teach than anyone else mainly due
            to a lack of fine motor skills and a lack of ability to comprehend
            concepts.

            8-12 year olds are fairly easy to teach as they have some good fine
            motor skills and are able to understand concepts such as wind
            direction and power. We have had kids this age flying foils and
            buggying. I still wouldn't put them near the water if they were mine
            though.

            12+ about the minimum age I would even consider getting anyone near
            the water on a board (bearing in mind kids do kite surf younger than
            that) By 12 they have learned some better skills and are more likely
            to be able to get themselves out of trouble and enjoy kitesurfing.

            Regards

            Tim Mellor
            Kite House
            Australia

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kitesurf73" <kitesurf73@y...> wrote:
            > I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
            > started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
            > early 90 s......
            >
            > And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
            > conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the
            dangers
            > that could be involved with kiteboarding...

            BIG SNIP
          • stuartdbenson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
              Thanks for the replies to this post (and the similar one on the
              kitesurf school site). To clarify, my kid is 6, first got dragged by
              a foil stunt kite (which I'd set up on a kitesurf bar) at 3, gave it
              up for two years, but has now picked it up incredibly quickly to the
              extent he does his own tricks on the beach. Ke can keep it in the
              air indefinitely even in 15 mph winds - better than many adults. He
              wants to kitesurf (like his daddy!) but I am nervous about it. I
              wondered whether anyone else had relevant experience, assuming this
              would be enough to deter him. I think the answer is yes, I have got
              enough ammo to deter him for a while. To me the big issue is being
              able to swim comfortably out of danger, and being old and wise
              enough to know what danger is.

              I think the general consensus is right; six is too young. What the
              actual youngest reasonable age is I don't yet know and anyway it
              will vary from child to child. Frankly my experience of the beach is
              that there are still many "adults" too young to be doing this
              dangerous sport!

              To those who have suggested windsurfing, yes but even the kid rigs I
              have tried are too heavy for him at the moment. Some people have
              suggested wakeboarding; does anyone know how/where to get a
              wakeboard small and light enough?
            • theflyingtinman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                One important point ...
                The size of kite a (presumably) lightweight child will need
                in any given wind to kiteboard is much smaller than that
                required for a larger person ... and therfore much more sensitive
                to input AND capable of flying much faster and therefore generating
                exponentially large amounts of lift. (The only kite that ever
                dragged me face-first down the beach was my arc 460 when it got into
                a spin in wind I could have probably handled with my 840!)

                I'm not against very young kids learning extreme sports when the
                playing field is level (my friend's child had his first solo paragliding
                flight at 7 and was flying comps by 10) but it seems to me that in
                kitesurfing the nature of the equipment stacks the odds against very
                young kids simply because of their weight - and that's before you even
                consider their underdeveloped motor skills.

                Steve T.