young children kitesurfing

  • stuartdbenson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
      Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
      I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues have
      to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only and
      no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty! I
      also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and jump,
      then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
      appreciated.
    • kitesurf73
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        Its a bad idea..... To many thing can go wrong you can never controll
        the weather.... I wouldent learn any kid to kite surf until he is at
        least 12 y....Its just no point to start that early then its much
        bettter board sport like skateboard snowboard even wake board where
        you could controll things better.....

        Give him a stunt kite to learn and forgett about kitboarding for a
        couple of years.......

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "stuartdbenson" <stuart.benson@u...>
        wrote:
        > Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
        > I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues have
        > to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only and
        > no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty! I
        > also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and
        jump,
        > then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
        > appreciated.
      • rohin156
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          im sorry but how qualified are you to make the judge between 6 and 12?
          what is the difference?

          why dont u get them used to the power zone with stunt kites and then
          get them on those little trainer kites. they are tiny and dont pull
          much but i am sure they wood get a 18-20kg kid around without getting
          them into too much trouble.

          just keep them away from objects and others like you have said and
          teach them the main thing to let go if they get scared which i am sure
          they will.

          it is the future....
          just look at the ski slopes, lakes, and beaches.
          sure u cant control the weather, but what can you control?

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kitesurf73" <kitesurf73@y...> wrote:
          > Its a bad idea..... To many thing can go wrong you can never
          controll
          > the weather.... I wouldent learn any kid to kite surf until he is at
          > least 12 y....Its just no point to start that early then its much
          > bettter board sport like skateboard snowboard even wake board where
          > you could controll things better.....
          >
          > Give him a stunt kite to learn and forgett about kitboarding for a
          > couple of years.......
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "stuartdbenson"
          <stuart.benson@u...>
          > wrote:
          > > Anyone any experience of teaching really young kids to kitesurf -
          > > I'm talking 6 here. I appreciate all the "adult" safety issues
          have
          > > to be followed to the letter and I'd also assume two lines only
          and
          > > no harness loop. And go out early or late when the water's empty!
          > > also have a feeling that if it's windy enough to go upwind and
          > jump,
          > > then its too windy for kids. However, any hints tips advice etc
          > > appreciated.
        • kitesurf73
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
            started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
            early 90 s......

            And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
            conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the dangers
            that could be involved with kiteboarding...

            I just dont se the point of letting a kid kiteboard untill he can
            deside for him self wats a dangerous situation etc..The brain of a 6
            years is not mature enough to make this desition.....

            When there is other simular sports like wake boarding skate boarding
            snowboarding...

            I cant say the exact age when its right to kite for a kid i think it
            depends on the individual kid but defenetly 6 years is to young....

            If you start kiteboarding in you early teens and have done less
            dangerous but similar sports there is no absolut no reason why you
            couldnt be the future of kite boarding and you might live that long
            to......If the talent is there its there....

            and about controll yore right i cant controll everything...

            But you cant compare letting youre kid ski in a childslope or surf in
            30 cm surf.......

            I would rather let my 6 years old kid learn how to drive a car then
            kitesurf......

            Kitesurfing is a pretty tiny sport compared to others but still u
            here almost every month/week people getting killed badly hurt cause
            of squall bad knowledge or pure stupidity...****How many dies in 10
            degress child slope or even get badly hurt******

            Kiting is ****** DANGEROUS***** its an extrem sport doesnt matter
            how much you wegiht to be able to go upwind the power is needed is
            pretty much for WHAT EVER WEIGHT YOU HAVE IN RELATION TO WHATEVER
            KITE YOU USE.........

            And to give that power in the hands of 6 years old kid is *****nuts***

            And if you dont intend to let the kid go upwind Or your intention is
            just to try an getting him use to the water or whatever you are
            thinking..... Then wats the point???? Then there is other sports to
            let him get us to water or board riding.........

            The kite skill he can get on land with a stunt kite in safe light
            wind.........

            Thanks and by..........

          • tim_spam
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              Hi Guys,

              as someone who teaches several hundred new comers to kite flying each
              year, I will pass on some observations.

              Children from 5-8 CAN be taught to fly kites safely (2 line stunt
              kites) but they are far slower to teach than anyone else mainly due
              to a lack of fine motor skills and a lack of ability to comprehend
              concepts.

              8-12 year olds are fairly easy to teach as they have some good fine
              motor skills and are able to understand concepts such as wind
              direction and power. We have had kids this age flying foils and
              buggying. I still wouldn't put them near the water if they were mine
              though.

              12+ about the minimum age I would even consider getting anyone near
              the water on a board (bearing in mind kids do kite surf younger than
              that) By 12 they have learned some better skills and are more likely
              to be able to get themselves out of trouble and enjoy kitesurfing.

              Regards

              Tim Mellor
              Kite House
              Australia

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kitesurf73" <kitesurf73@y...> wrote:
              > I have been kiting for 3 years ive been snowboarding for 14 years
              > started sking when i was 4 years old been wakeboarding since the
              > early 90 s......
              >
              > And none of thoose sports skiing/snowboarding in a normal
              > conditions/slope wakeboarding in a lake is compareble to the
              dangers
              > that could be involved with kiteboarding...

              BIG SNIP
            • stuartdbenson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                Thanks for the replies to this post (and the similar one on the
                kitesurf school site). To clarify, my kid is 6, first got dragged by
                a foil stunt kite (which I'd set up on a kitesurf bar) at 3, gave it
                up for two years, but has now picked it up incredibly quickly to the
                extent he does his own tricks on the beach. Ke can keep it in the
                air indefinitely even in 15 mph winds - better than many adults. He
                wants to kitesurf (like his daddy!) but I am nervous about it. I
                wondered whether anyone else had relevant experience, assuming this
                would be enough to deter him. I think the answer is yes, I have got
                enough ammo to deter him for a while. To me the big issue is being
                able to swim comfortably out of danger, and being old and wise
                enough to know what danger is.

                I think the general consensus is right; six is too young. What the
                actual youngest reasonable age is I don't yet know and anyway it
                will vary from child to child. Frankly my experience of the beach is
                that there are still many "adults" too young to be doing this
                dangerous sport!

                To those who have suggested windsurfing, yes but even the kid rigs I
                have tried are too heavy for him at the moment. Some people have
                suggested wakeboarding; does anyone know how/where to get a
                wakeboard small and light enough?
              • theflyingtinman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2003
                  One important point ...
                  The size of kite a (presumably) lightweight child will need
                  in any given wind to kiteboard is much smaller than that
                  required for a larger person ... and therfore much more sensitive
                  to input AND capable of flying much faster and therefore generating
                  exponentially large amounts of lift. (The only kite that ever
                  dragged me face-first down the beach was my arc 460 when it got into
                  a spin in wind I could have probably handled with my 840!)

                  I'm not against very young kids learning extreme sports when the
                  playing field is level (my friend's child had his first solo paragliding
                  flight at 7 and was flying comps by 10) but it seems to me that in
                  kitesurfing the nature of the equipment stacks the odds against very
                  young kids simply because of their weight - and that's before you even
                  consider their underdeveloped motor skills.

                  Steve T.