Re: [ksurf] Mel's lofting

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
      In a message dated 6/1/2003 10:26:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      denis.riedijk@... writes:

      > He did indeed miss his board while going out, and stated the in the
      > future he will put his board more downwind. The fact he had to bring the
      > kite to the other side to get back to his board was what caused the
      > accident.

      I can only take your word for that, having not talked with Mel (I know him as

      Tom) since his recovery. He probably had to bring kite to the 'other side' to
      power
      it up to walk back - that is dangerous.

      And that is why we usually launch from water
      (as explained in earlier post)
      AGAIN-
      SO when we have to power up the kite after a lull by bringing it
      over to the 'other side', say the 11 oclock postion,
      if we get lofted we drop on to water which can give us
      more time to bring it back over the water again to the
      3 oclock position(non lofting position)
      to go out on starboard.
      It is hard to explain these things with words, but good luck in understanding
      it....

      Fortunately most new kites (X2, Rhino 2,etc) don't "hindenberg", but
      that can still happen here at Killer Kabrillo.
      Because a gust here can disappear in a split second,
      dropping your kite OR you from a jump- like a rock.
      That is something you have to experience and get a feel for
      in order to avoid it. Not a fun lesson to take. Fortunately they are usually
      less than 10ft drops into water.
      Kinda like the high diver in a Circus Side Show, diving into a bathtub.
      Splat.
      Scott

    • Dènis Riedijk
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
        Please don't take my word, its best if you read what he wrote exactly
        (especially since you are familiar with the spot) Second hand info is
        always worse :)

        http://www.kiteforum.com/index.php?page=http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/v
        iewtopic.php?t=10802&navi=1&button=forum

        It is the second post.

        I have understood from posts of Mel (or Tom indeed) from the past that
        the spot is indeed not an easy launch. I am just feeling more lucky with
        my beach which is >400 meters wide. Although I have moved now, and still
        feel quite uncomfortable with my new beach that is +- 100 meters wide.

        No rocks fortunately :)

        Grtz,
        Dènis

        denis.riedijk@... writes:

        > He did indeed miss his board while going out, and stated the in the
        > future he will put his board more downwind. The fact he had to bring
        the
        > kite to the other side to get back to his board was what caused the
        > accident.

        I can only take your word for that, having not talked with Mel (I know
        him as

        Tom) since his recovery. He probably had to bring kite to the 'other
        side' to
        power
        it up to walk back - that is dangerous.

        And that is why we usually launch from water
        (as explained in earlier post)
        AGAIN-
        SO when we have to power up the kite after a lull by bringing it
        over to the 'other side', say the 11 oclock postion,
        if we get lofted we drop on to water which can give us
        more time to bring it back over the water again to the
        3 oclock position(non lofting position)
        to go out on starboard.
        It is hard to explain these things with words, but good luck in
        understanding
        it....

        Fortunately most new kites (X2, Rhino 2,etc) don't "hindenberg", but
        that can still happen here at Killer Kabrillo.
        Because a gust here can disappear in a split second,
        dropping your kite OR you from a jump- like a rock.
        That is something you have to experience and get a feel for
        in order to avoid it. Not a fun lesson to take. Fortunately they are
        usually
        less than 10ft drops into water.
        Kinda like the high diver in a Circus Side Show, diving into a bathtub.
        Splat.
        Scott

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Greg Walsh
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
          I launch my foils from downwind and immediately fly them to the side
          of the window on the seaward side.

          It is best to launch with less inflation, say just enough to form a
          bubble along the LE. A fully inflated kite will have too much power
          and may require the downwind run or dragging. A partially inflated
          foil kite generates very little pull but is very steerable and
          controllable.

          The kite fully inflates by the time it has reached the side of the
          window.

          Actually the time a foil becomes a handful is just after you have
          landed it. Then you have a fully inflated, fully powered kite sitting
          downwind waiting for you to release the brake so it can fly again.
          There are some improved systems appearing on the scene but so far LEI
          and Arcs definitely have an advantage in this area.

          Regards

          Greg
        • flkiter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003

            > Goodspeed, Mel!
            >
            > At Cabarete, Zenith parking is a way of life. EVERY rider does
            it.
            > EVERY instructor teaches it. Park you kite and eat a sandwich
            hooked
            > in. Side on 25 knots. Palms and hotels be dammed. I don't know
            what
            > to think. - new rider.

            I for one NEVER fly my kite at zenith, especially at places like
            Cabarete. I have seen many riders that do this, and it almost always
            ends in a dangerous situation.
            On Saturday I was at one of our local spots and the wind was cranking
            dead on shore and gusting between 10 and 25 (nice huh?) Our local
            instructor was there flying a foil (I won't mention the brand) and he
            was continuously flying it straight over head. There was a very crazy
            uplift going on right at the waters edge, and his kite kept colapsing
            and then reopening right in the power zone. I suggested that he fly
            it down near the water to prevent this and he told me that these
            foils don't fly like that. I had to hold his harness (as his feet
            were off the ground the whole time) and walk him out in the water so
            he could put his board on. To make a long story short, his kite ended
            up in the trees THREE times that day! I helped him the firat two
            times but the last time he was on his own. Each time this happened
            there were people straight downwind of him. And remember, this is an
            instructor! I just don't get it.
            Kite-on,
            GK