RE: [ksurf] Mel's lofting

  • Andy Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
      You can launch your foil from the water...you can side launch your foil...and yes you can down wind launch your foil if you feel like it.

      In light winds with smaller foils I launch downwind...as soon as the wind gets up - you sand one tip walk 90 deg and do a nice unassisted /assisted side launch...no different from a lei. Its just a case of thinking about it sometimes...and its easy to forget in the excitement of wanting to get out on the water.

      It's just foil users get used to the ease of solo launching that they often don't follow the same practices that lei users are forced to use.

      pip pip

      andy

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
        In a message dated 6/1/2003 2:56:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        flightcorro@... writes:

        > Is it correct that your launching while standing in the water with the kite
        > on the land side rather than the water side?
        > Isn't that in itself a recipe for disaster in gust conditions?
        > Or is there something particular about your launch site which requires a
        > launch with the kite land side rather than water side?

        I'm not sure i understand your question.
        But we have a short, small beach that is frequently crowded with unaware
        beach walkers.

        We could launch with the kite just the opposite, while standing on land with
        the kite closer to the water with us launching it, side angle to the wind
        window, so that it is low above the water in the direction we want to go, however
        we then have to run 100ft to the water, risking a depowering of the kite
        (lull) and dumping it in the surf OR having to bring it over too high to maintain
        power (and possibly getting lofted over land !).
        So it is better for us to bring it over head from land while we are in water
        - remember, these are very gusty conditions to launch.
        Good luck in imagining this since you can't 'see' what i am talking about.
        Scott

      • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
          In a message dated 6/1/2003 10:26:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          denis.riedijk@... writes:

          > He did indeed miss his board while going out, and stated the in the
          > future he will put his board more downwind. The fact he had to bring the
          > kite to the other side to get back to his board was what caused the
          > accident.

          I can only take your word for that, having not talked with Mel (I know him as

          Tom) since his recovery. He probably had to bring kite to the 'other side' to
          power
          it up to walk back - that is dangerous.

          And that is why we usually launch from water
          (as explained in earlier post)
          AGAIN-
          SO when we have to power up the kite after a lull by bringing it
          over to the 'other side', say the 11 oclock postion,
          if we get lofted we drop on to water which can give us
          more time to bring it back over the water again to the
          3 oclock position(non lofting position)
          to go out on starboard.
          It is hard to explain these things with words, but good luck in understanding
          it....

          Fortunately most new kites (X2, Rhino 2,etc) don't "hindenberg", but
          that can still happen here at Killer Kabrillo.
          Because a gust here can disappear in a split second,
          dropping your kite OR you from a jump- like a rock.
          That is something you have to experience and get a feel for
          in order to avoid it. Not a fun lesson to take. Fortunately they are usually
          less than 10ft drops into water.
          Kinda like the high diver in a Circus Side Show, diving into a bathtub.
          Splat.
          Scott

        • Dènis Riedijk
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
            Please don't take my word, its best if you read what he wrote exactly
            (especially since you are familiar with the spot) Second hand info is
            always worse :)

            http://www.kiteforum.com/index.php?page=http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/v
            iewtopic.php?t=10802&navi=1&button=forum

            It is the second post.

            I have understood from posts of Mel (or Tom indeed) from the past that
            the spot is indeed not an easy launch. I am just feeling more lucky with
            my beach which is >400 meters wide. Although I have moved now, and still
            feel quite uncomfortable with my new beach that is +- 100 meters wide.

            No rocks fortunately :)

            Grtz,
            Dènis

            denis.riedijk@... writes:

            > He did indeed miss his board while going out, and stated the in the
            > future he will put his board more downwind. The fact he had to bring
            the
            > kite to the other side to get back to his board was what caused the
            > accident.

            I can only take your word for that, having not talked with Mel (I know
            him as

            Tom) since his recovery. He probably had to bring kite to the 'other
            side' to
            power
            it up to walk back - that is dangerous.

            And that is why we usually launch from water
            (as explained in earlier post)
            AGAIN-
            SO when we have to power up the kite after a lull by bringing it
            over to the 'other side', say the 11 oclock postion,
            if we get lofted we drop on to water which can give us
            more time to bring it back over the water again to the
            3 oclock position(non lofting position)
            to go out on starboard.
            It is hard to explain these things with words, but good luck in
            understanding
            it....

            Fortunately most new kites (X2, Rhino 2,etc) don't "hindenberg", but
            that can still happen here at Killer Kabrillo.
            Because a gust here can disappear in a split second,
            dropping your kite OR you from a jump- like a rock.
            That is something you have to experience and get a feel for
            in order to avoid it. Not a fun lesson to take. Fortunately they are
            usually
            less than 10ft drops into water.
            Kinda like the high diver in a Circus Side Show, diving into a bathtub.
            Splat.
            Scott

            http://www.KiteHIGH.com
            ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
            ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
            Em: support@...

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Greg Walsh
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
              I launch my foils from downwind and immediately fly them to the side
              of the window on the seaward side.

              It is best to launch with less inflation, say just enough to form a
              bubble along the LE. A fully inflated kite will have too much power
              and may require the downwind run or dragging. A partially inflated
              foil kite generates very little pull but is very steerable and
              controllable.

              The kite fully inflates by the time it has reached the side of the
              window.

              Actually the time a foil becomes a handful is just after you have
              landed it. Then you have a fully inflated, fully powered kite sitting
              downwind waiting for you to release the brake so it can fly again.
              There are some improved systems appearing on the scene but so far LEI
              and Arcs definitely have an advantage in this area.

              Regards

              Greg
            • flkiter
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003

                > Goodspeed, Mel!
                >
                > At Cabarete, Zenith parking is a way of life. EVERY rider does
                it.
                > EVERY instructor teaches it. Park you kite and eat a sandwich
                hooked
                > in. Side on 25 knots. Palms and hotels be dammed. I don't know
                what
                > to think. - new rider.

                I for one NEVER fly my kite at zenith, especially at places like
                Cabarete. I have seen many riders that do this, and it almost always
                ends in a dangerous situation.
                On Saturday I was at one of our local spots and the wind was cranking
                dead on shore and gusting between 10 and 25 (nice huh?) Our local
                instructor was there flying a foil (I won't mention the brand) and he
                was continuously flying it straight over head. There was a very crazy
                uplift going on right at the waters edge, and his kite kept colapsing
                and then reopening right in the power zone. I suggested that he fly
                it down near the water to prevent this and he told me that these
                foils don't fly like that. I had to hold his harness (as his feet
                were off the ground the whole time) and walk him out in the water so
                he could put his board on. To make a long story short, his kite ended
                up in the trees THREE times that day! I helped him the firat two
                times but the last time he was on his own. Each time this happened
                there were people straight downwind of him. And remember, this is an
                instructor! I just don't get it.
                Kite-on,
                GK