Mel's lofting

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi David

      I have answered your post just because it was the top one in the digest I
      just received, but also because you say that every instructor teaches to
      park at zenith in Cabarete!
      I thought the IKO was based there, and no IKO instructor would ever teach
      you to park youur kite at zenith?

      If you are referring to kites that auto zenith like the arc, it is a very
      dangerous practice.
      I sent Mel a get well message privately, and I am sure he will elaborate
      more when he is in less pain. As far as I can tell auto zenith had nothing
      to do with Mels accident, but more from persisting in riding in what he has
      often described as the gusty beach from kitehell, landing unassisted, and
      some bad luck.

      Gusty winds kill kiters, look at all the nasty injuries and deaths in Ricks
      journal of carnage, I hope Mel can return to kiting and that he finds a
      better place to kite.
      If the wind is gusting more than 5 knots there is a strong possibility of
      lofting, especially with more experienced riders who are carrying as much
      kite as possible.
      Just because an arc kite, including the new g-arc feels like it handles
      gusts better than inflatos ( I would not know, others have said this) does
      not mean this kite will be less prone to lofting riders. It may lull people
      into a false sense of security, if they rely on auto zenith too much or too
      often?

      People have been lofted on Cabarete, I read of one miraculous escape a few
      months ago, the experienced rider travelled a couple of hundred meters
      inland, but escaped serious injury.

      A very common injury of loftings is spinal damage, and broken limbs, things
      that can kill you or maim you for a pain filled lifetime and no more kiting.

      Cya and
      Goodwinds
      Steve McCormack
      http://www.kitepower.com.au