Re: Kudos for Mel

  • sckadotorg
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2003
      Here is Mel's response to me:

      > What happened? Are you ok? Let me know if we can do anything to
      help
      > you out!

      Thanks for the kind offer. Supposedly I'll recover eventually.
      Cabrillo is what happened. Here's my log entry (feel free to post
      it anywhere you feel appropriate - "Cabrillo Kitemares"?)

      5/22/3 0hrs. Guerilla 13
      Winds were between 10-22 & 11-24mph (on iwindsurf.com). A gust on
      launching (with the kite low at the water's edge) pulled me a bit
      too far downwind to grab my board (where I'd left it near the sanded
      kite) on the way into the water. I flew carefully through zenith &
      low over land, to get back upwind of the board, but while carefully
      flying through zenith to get it back over the water again a gust hit
      at the exact wrong moment, lifting me about 8', so I couldn't
      continue moving the kite down. As soon as I landed another gust
      hit, lifting me about 20', & while I made the landing okay (on feet
      with bent knees) there was sufficient impact to fracture my spine.

      Lesson: Don't EVER fly at zenith, even momentarily, unless in deep
      water. If the kite accidentally reaches zenith, release IMMEDIATELY,
      before there's a chance of getting lofted.

      Solution: Leave the board well downwind of the sanded kite, so even
      if dragged by a gust, it's still within reach..

      Mel

      Hope you get better soon Mel!