Re: Advice on repairing large hole in leading edge bladder

  • tim_spam
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28, 2003
      Hi Kinsley,

      thanks same sort of principle we use. The Model aircraft irons are a
      fair bit different to a normal iron though. They are designed for
      running at 90 C (200 F) to about 200 C (350 F) and the shoe size is
      about 1 1/2" x 2" in size. I found that because the seal takes place
      over a larger area it was reliable and good mechanically, the patch
      is a strong as the origional section. I always thought bag sealers
      might gett a little hot and tend to melt the plastic a bit much as we
      have had some commercial bladders fail at the sealed ends.

      cheers

      Tim Mellor
      Kite House
      Australia

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "XtremeBigAir.com" <Kinsley@X...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Tim,
      > In dealing with the middle of the bladder: You have to open up the
      > bladder by cutting along the edge of the seam. Then heat sealed
      with
      > the Foodsave Vacuum sealer the new added part of the middle section
      of
      > the bladder, then you can re-seal the rest of the bladder along the
      > seam. To reinforce the new added part, I pump up the bladder to
      firm
      > then I put a piece of KiteBandage tape around the seams.
      >
      > The Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer is the best tool for this. I used to
      mess
      > around with a iron and wax paper but ended up wasting the whole
      bladder.

      > Go XtremeBigAir,
      >
      > Kinsley Wong
      > http://XtremeBigAir.com

    • kitepimp
      Message 2 of 10 , May 29, 2003
        What temperature setting do you use?

        My R2 18M blew up in the same manner today - was turning over on the
        beach and it blew up right in cnter of leading edge - tore the
        bladder and the leading edge material. This kite has given me
        months of hassle free kiting - many great sessions - so I have no
        complaints.

        I have a sail maker repairing the damage to the leading edge.

        In prepraing to attempt the slef repair to the main bladder can
        someone spend a couple minutes to more discretely outline the
        process - materials, tools, temperatures and techniques?

        Thanks!

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "tim_spam" <tim_spam@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Kinsley,
        >
        > thanks same sort of principle we use. The Model aircraft irons are
        > fair bit different to a normal iron though. They are designed for
        > running at 90 C (200 F) to about 200 C (350 F) and the shoe size
        is
        > about 1 1/2" x 2" in size. I found that because the seal takes
        place
        > over a larger area it was reliable and good mechanically, the
        patch
        > is a strong as the origional section. I always thought bag sealers
        > might gett a little hot and tend to melt the plastic a bit much as
        we
        > have had some commercial bladders fail at the sealed ends.
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > Tim Mellor
        > Kite House
        > Australia
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "XtremeBigAir.com" <Kinsley@X...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hi Tim,
        > > In dealing with the middle of the bladder: You have to open up
        the
        > > bladder by cutting along the edge of the seam. Then heat
        sealed
        > with
        > > the Foodsave Vacuum sealer the new added part of the middle
        section
        > of
        > > the bladder, then you can re-seal the rest of the bladder along
        the
        > > seam. To reinforce the new added part, I pump up the bladder to
        > firm
        > > then I put a piece of KiteBandage tape around the seams.
        > >
        > > The Foodsaver Vacuum Sealer is the best tool for this. I used
        > mess
        > > around with a iron and wax paper but ended up wasting the whole
        > bladder.
        > >
        > > Go XtremeBigAir,
        > >
        > > Kinsley Wong
        > > http://XtremeBigAir.com

      • hensv
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2003
          My Naish ARX17.5 exploded on the beach and now has an 18" hole in both
          the sleeve and the bladder. Why does this happen?!
          I had been out on it 10 minutes earlier, had dumped it (lightly) and
          couldn't relaunch because it got twisted. So I was considering adding
          some air (after I swam in to shore). This makes me doubt that
          over-inflation is the issue. Perhaps the sleeve had been weakened
          from some previous incident?

          I too would like to see the comprehensive repair guide if somebody has
          done it successfully. Thanks.