Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel?? - COM

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 5:48 AM
      Spectra is not just a little stronger than steel.

      Material Tensile Strength g/dl
      Steel = ~ 3
      Spectra 900 (least expensive) ~ 28
      Spectra 1000 (med quality) ~ 33
      Spectra 2000 (good quality) ~ 37

      As you can see from the above info Spectra is a good 10 times stronger than
      steel. The better question is why use steel, it will break much sooner and
      is far too stiff.

      If the problem is wear and you are sheathing your steel cable in tubing then
      it does not make any difference if you use steel or spectra from a wear
      point of view.

      If you are not sheathing your cable then I would recommend using
      Q-LeaderLine which utilizes "armored" or encapsulated spectra as an
      over-braid to protect the linear spectra core.

      In any case steel is not a good choice.

      Sincerely,

      Brian Smith
      PowerLine Sports
      4 Windbrook Crescent
      Kanata, ON, K2M 1L4

      bsmith@...
      www.Q-PowerLine.com

      Message: 23
      Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:17:52 -0000
      From: "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@...>
      Subject: Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
      > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
      > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
      rigs)
      > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
      > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
      > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
      against
      > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
      big
      > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
      > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
      >
      > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
      > aren't using steel.

      Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
      why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
      issue.

      Nick