Re: [ksurf] North Scepter Defect - or just Bad Luck??

  • Chris Glazier
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2003
      Interesting

      My friend has a new Rhino 2 and just had the little stopper ball
      that holds one of the front lines fail. The front line was then held
      only by the leash and the kite became uncrontrollable. It made for a
      long swim. I would certainly rig the stopper balls on the front
      lines differently (my X2 stopper balls are in a better arrangement).

      Otherwise, I tried the Rhino 2 and the kite flew very nicely.

      Chris G

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Henryk Majewski" <henas@p...>
      wrote:
      > This chicken loop has been recalled by North.
      > You will get redesigned replacement. So far works well.
      > It doesn't release by itself either.
      >
      > The other problem with Spectra bar are back line strap adjusters.
      > The clip will cut through the webbing. Remove them and replace
      them with
      > rope.
      >
      > Henryk

      Anyone
      > > know if North is recalling - retofitting this system? I was told
      > > can get a new one, but it's not worth the risk if the same thing
      is
      > > going to happen again - I consider myself lucky since I only
      ended
      > > up with spaghetti lines. Oh, and did I mention that the leash
      > > released itself, as well? Damn, when it rains, it pours....
      > >

      > > This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com Kitesurfing
      > >
      > > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
      > > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
      > > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
      > > Em: support@k...
      > >
      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Henryk Majewski
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2003
        Initially I had the same problem with the stoper balls.
        On my first day ball slipped and kite become uncontrollable.
        So I put my thinking hat on and attached my lines on the other side of the
        ball, knot side.
        This is to the contrary what the manual is saying. I advised the same to
        some other kiters.
        After five month of constant usage none of us has had any problems.

        Henryk Majewski
        > My friend has a new Rhino 2 and just had the little stopper ball
        > that holds one of the front lines fail. The front line was then held
        > only by the leash and the kite became uncrontrollable. It made for a
        > long swim. I would certainly rig the stopper balls on the front
        > lines differently (my X2 stopper balls are in a better arrangement).
        >
        > Otherwise, I tried the Rhino 2 and the kite flew very nicely.
        >
        > Chris G
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Henryk Majewski" <henas@p...>
        > wrote:
        > > This chicken loop has been recalled by North.
        > > You will get redesigned replacement. So far works well.
        > > It doesn't release by itself either.
        > >
        > > The other problem with Spectra bar are back line strap adjusters.
        > > The clip will cut through the webbing. Remove them and replace
        > them with
        > > rope.
        > >
        > > Henryk

      • hirschausen
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2003
          Yep, she's a dodgey set up that North bar

          Have had the chicken loop blow to bits and the leash at the same
          time.
          Not much fun watching your kite tumble away into the distance.

          The ridiculous power loop with it's "eject" system simply comes
          undone continously. Took that off.

          And yes, the knots pulled through the balls....

          Haven't had the back lines shred yet, but will replace them.

          I have the new chicken loop quick release thingy, it seems to work
          fine.
          But overall.....what a set-up, not very practical is it.