Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??

  • kiteparker
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2003
      I considered using SS for the same reasons but haven't tried it. It
      seems like a good idea to me and so I think I'll try it.

      One of the reasons I haven't tried it is my line wears out where it
      goes trough the jam cleat much faster than where it goes through the
      hole in the bar but it would be a lot easier to replace the jam
      cleat part of the line.

      Thanks for the post.

      Doug

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
      > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
      > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
      rigs)
      > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
      > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
      > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
      against
      > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
      big
      > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
      > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
      >
      > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
      > aren't using steel.
    • captpaul1
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4, 2003
        Nick,

        According to New England Ropes, "Technora" is their "highest strength
        aramid fiber". It feels, cuts and burns like Kevlar, but has a
        higher strength and abrasion resistance. Doesn't look anything like
        Spectra. On racing yachts, Technora is the high-tech line of
        choice. Down sides are that it doesn't hold a knot as well as
        Spectra, so splices are better, and it doesn't melt like Spectra, so
        you have to "whip" the raw ends, tuck them in a splice, or dip them
        in liquid rubber.

        Paul

        > Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
        > is "Technora" made of?
        >
        > Nick
      • hink_trent
        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2003
          My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
          your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.
        • Greg Walsh
          Message 4 of 17 , May 4, 2003
            I'm currently using a piece of 4mm spectra inside some plastic
            tubing. It sticks a *little* if you try to sheet in and steer at the
            same time. Other than that it works fine.

            Greg
          • kiteparker
            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2003
              > My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
              > your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.

              The cable is sleeved in a plastic tube which protects the bar and
              the cable. Also, the cable is strong so a small diameter cable
              could be used. With the plastic tubing the overall diameter would
              still be less than rope. I think there would be little friction on
              the bar.
            • kiteboardingjapan
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                rigs)
                > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                against
                > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                big
                > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                >
                > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                > aren't using steel.

                Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                issue.

                Nick
              • Kite Power (Sydney)
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                  Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                  spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile strength of
                  steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.
                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au

                  > Message: 23
                  > Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:17:52 -0000
                  > From: "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@...>
                  > Subject: Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??
                  >
                  > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                  > > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                  > > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                  > rigs)
                  > > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                  > > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                  > > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                  > against
                  > > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                  > big
                  > > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                  > > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                  > >
                  > > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                  > > aren't using steel.
                  >
                  > Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                  > why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                  > issue.
                  >
                  > Nick
                • Anthony
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@k...>
                    wrote:
                    > Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                    > spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile
                    strength of
                    > steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.

                    Yeah stell suffers a lot more from metal fatigue than rope will. It
                    is not meant to have knots tied in it or any sharp bends. It is
                    definitly not meant to be bent backwards and forwards many time.

                    Alternativelly you can get a bolt on fairlead for your bar from any
                    marine store. Here I got one that fits onto the North bar as well as
                    the older Naish bars for AU$15.00. Works great, I have never had a
                    stock standard chickenloop wear out on me!
                  • Todd
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                      Or you could use PBO 1/8'' HAS 4,000 LB tensil strength put a
                      polyester jacket over it should last awhile. But I wouldn't know not
                      a dangler. I do use the PBO for leaders no stretch or creep while
                      flying . Fly be wire response. APSLTD.com they also have some realy
                      kool connectors too,

                      ToDd