Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??

  • ichiman1
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2003
      I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
      marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat rigs)
      and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and to
      a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
      tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub against
      my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is big
      enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
      loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.

      Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
      aren't using steel.
    • kiteparker
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2003
        I considered using SS for the same reasons but haven't tried it. It
        seems like a good idea to me and so I think I'll try it.

        One of the reasons I haven't tried it is my line wears out where it
        goes trough the jam cleat much faster than where it goes through the
        hole in the bar but it would be a lot easier to replace the jam
        cleat part of the line.

        Thanks for the post.

        Doug

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
        > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
        > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
        rigs)
        > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
        > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
        > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
        against
        > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
        big
        > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
        > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
        >
        > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
        > aren't using steel.
      • captpaul1
        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2003
          Nick,

          According to New England Ropes, "Technora" is their "highest strength
          aramid fiber". It feels, cuts and burns like Kevlar, but has a
          higher strength and abrasion resistance. Doesn't look anything like
          Spectra. On racing yachts, Technora is the high-tech line of
          choice. Down sides are that it doesn't hold a knot as well as
          Spectra, so splices are better, and it doesn't melt like Spectra, so
          you have to "whip" the raw ends, tuck them in a splice, or dip them
          in liquid rubber.

          Paul

          > Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
          > is "Technora" made of?
          >
          > Nick
        • hink_trent
          Message 4 of 17 , May 4, 2003
            My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
            your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.
          • Greg Walsh
            Message 5 of 17 , May 4, 2003
              I'm currently using a piece of 4mm spectra inside some plastic
              tubing. It sticks a *little* if you try to sheet in and steer at the
              same time. Other than that it works fine.

              Greg
            • kiteparker
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                > My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
                > your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.

                The cable is sleeved in a plastic tube which protects the bar and
                the cable. Also, the cable is strong so a small diameter cable
                could be used. With the plastic tubing the overall diameter would
                still be less than rope. I think there would be little friction on
                the bar.
              • kiteboardingjapan
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                  > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                  > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                  rigs)
                  > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                  > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                  > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                  against
                  > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                  big
                  > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                  > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                  >
                  > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                  > aren't using steel.

                  Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                  why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                  issue.

                  Nick
                • Kite Power (Sydney)
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                    Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                    spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile strength of
                    steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.
                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au

                    > Message: 23
                    > Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:17:52 -0000
                    > From: "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@...>
                    > Subject: Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??
                    >
                    > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                    > > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                    > > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                    > rigs)
                    > > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                    > > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                    > > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                    > against
                    > > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                    > big
                    > > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                    > > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                    > >
                    > > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                    > > aren't using steel.
                    >
                    > Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                    > why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                    > issue.
                    >
                    > Nick
                  • Anthony
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@k...>
                      wrote:
                      > Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                      > spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile
                      strength of
                      > steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.

                      Yeah stell suffers a lot more from metal fatigue than rope will. It
                      is not meant to have knots tied in it or any sharp bends. It is
                      definitly not meant to be bent backwards and forwards many time.

                      Alternativelly you can get a bolt on fairlead for your bar from any
                      marine store. Here I got one that fits onto the North bar as well as
                      the older Naish bars for AU$15.00. Works great, I have never had a
                      stock standard chickenloop wear out on me!
                    • Todd
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                        Or you could use PBO 1/8'' HAS 4,000 LB tensil strength put a
                        polyester jacket over it should last awhile. But I wouldn't know not
                        a dangler. I do use the PBO for leaders no stretch or creep while
                        flying . Fly be wire response. APSLTD.com they also have some realy
                        kool connectors too,

                        ToDd