WARNING HARNESS FAILURE

  • tswierkocki
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2003
      WARNING -

      Anyone using a Dakine Pryo Harness should check the sewing
      that attaches spreader bar to the harness. During my session
      yesterday the webbing that attaches the spreader bar to my
      harness broke. I lost my kite, bar, lines, and harness. I was
      able to recover everything over a mile down the beach. This
      could have been a dangerous situation. Lucky for me there were
      only a few people on the beach and kite beached itself on a
      unpopulated section of beach.

      -Tom
    • loco4viento
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2003
        Hi Tom,

        I've been using a cheap and simple solution to this potential
        problem on my Dakine Fusion. I noticed webbing wear and tear
        from the sharp corners the webbing makes as it doubles back at
        the spreader or its buckle. I'm not into having to cut and re-sew
        more webbing on every time I see wear and tear. I have removed
        the old webbing straps and now have 2 pieces of webbing a few
        feet long, easily repaced with NO SEWING. The bottom one goes
        from the lower webbing buckle on the right side, through the right
        spreader bar webbing slot, back through the right ss ring where
        the harness grab handle is attached, around the back of the
        harness and through the left ss ring, through the left spreader
        bar webbing slot and down through the left lower webbing
        buckle. The same is repeated with a different piece of webbing
        from the upper harness webbing buckles and through the slots
        and ss rings. Works great, easy to adjust from either side, you
        can even break a piece of the webbing and keep on riding. Carry
        an extra piece or two of webbing and you're good for a long, long
        time, change it out in 2 minutes if needed.

        Maybe a similar thing could be worked out for your Pyro.

        John

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "tswierkocki"