Re: chickenloop rope

  • kiteboardingjapan
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2003
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "captpaul1" <captpaul1@y...> wrote:
      > I started using a New England Ropes product called "Technora" that
      is
      > available as a 12 plait single braid so it splices like Spectra but
      > it's abrasion resistance is many times better than Spectra. It is
      > much more difficult to cut (you must use a very sharp knife or
      razor)
      > it won't melt and doesn't hold a knot as well as Spectra, but I
      just
      > replaced a chicken loop last week after about a year of use and it
      > was still in decent shape. One of the things I do is high
      > performance yacht rigging, and Technora is standard fare on the big
      > boats.

      Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
      is "Technora" made of?

      Nick
    • ichiman1
      Message 2 of 17 , May 3, 2003
        I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
        marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat rigs)
        and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and to
        a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
        tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub against
        my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is big
        enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
        loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.

        Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
        aren't using steel.
      • kiteparker
        Message 3 of 17 , May 3, 2003
          I considered using SS for the same reasons but haven't tried it. It
          seems like a good idea to me and so I think I'll try it.

          One of the reasons I haven't tried it is my line wears out where it
          goes trough the jam cleat much faster than where it goes through the
          hole in the bar but it would be a lot easier to replace the jam
          cleat part of the line.

          Thanks for the post.

          Doug

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
          > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
          > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
          rigs)
          > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
          > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
          > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
          against
          > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
          big
          > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
          > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
          >
          > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
          > aren't using steel.
        • captpaul1
          Message 4 of 17 , May 4, 2003
            Nick,

            According to New England Ropes, "Technora" is their "highest strength
            aramid fiber". It feels, cuts and burns like Kevlar, but has a
            higher strength and abrasion resistance. Doesn't look anything like
            Spectra. On racing yachts, Technora is the high-tech line of
            choice. Down sides are that it doesn't hold a knot as well as
            Spectra, so splices are better, and it doesn't melt like Spectra, so
            you have to "whip" the raw ends, tuck them in a splice, or dip them
            in liquid rubber.

            Paul

            > Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
            > is "Technora" made of?
            >
            > Nick
          • hink_trent
            Message 5 of 17 , May 4, 2003
              My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
              your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.
            • Greg Walsh
              Message 6 of 17 , May 4, 2003
                I'm currently using a piece of 4mm spectra inside some plastic
                tubing. It sticks a *little* if you try to sheet in and steer at the
                same time. Other than that it works fine.

                Greg
              • kiteparker
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                  > My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
                  > your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.

                  The cable is sleeved in a plastic tube which protects the bar and
                  the cable. Also, the cable is strong so a small diameter cable
                  could be used. With the plastic tubing the overall diameter would
                  still be less than rope. I think there would be little friction on
                  the bar.
                • kiteboardingjapan
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                    > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                    > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                    rigs)
                    > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                    > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                    > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                    against
                    > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                    big
                    > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                    > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                    >
                    > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                    > aren't using steel.

                    Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                    why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                    issue.

                    Nick
                  • Kite Power (Sydney)
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                      Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                      spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile strength of
                      steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.
                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au

                      > Message: 23
                      > Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:17:52 -0000
                      > From: "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@...>
                      > Subject: Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??
                      >
                      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                      > > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                      > > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                      > rigs)
                      > > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                      > > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                      > > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                      > against
                      > > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                      > big
                      > > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                      > > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                      > >
                      > > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                      > > aren't using steel.
                      >
                      > Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                      > why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                      > issue.
                      >
                      > Nick
                    • Anthony
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@k...>
                        wrote:
                        > Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                        > spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile
                        strength of
                        > steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.

                        Yeah stell suffers a lot more from metal fatigue than rope will. It
                        is not meant to have knots tied in it or any sharp bends. It is
                        definitly not meant to be bent backwards and forwards many time.

                        Alternativelly you can get a bolt on fairlead for your bar from any
                        marine store. Here I got one that fits onto the North bar as well as
                        the older Naish bars for AU$15.00. Works great, I have never had a
                        stock standard chickenloop wear out on me!
                      • Todd
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                          Or you could use PBO 1/8'' HAS 4,000 LB tensil strength put a
                          polyester jacket over it should last awhile. But I wouldn't know not
                          a dangler. I do use the PBO for leaders no stretch or creep while
                          flying . Fly be wire response. APSLTD.com they also have some realy
                          kool connectors too,

                          ToDd