chickenloop rope

  • Rohin Edwards
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 29 5:52 PM
      hey u techos,
      if i want to replace my chicken loop do i hav to use spectra?
      what about the pre-stretched rope that u use for windsurfing downhaul?
      i am not sure what u call it.
      surely it would be strong enough, providing it doesnt stretch too much.
      that is the main thing with spectra huh, no stretch, but it wears out pretty quick.
      any advice would be great.
    • shreddor2
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29 6:12 PM
        I use non stretch rope from a ship chandler and sleave it with a
        clear type tubing from the local hardware store (It is like a thicker
        version of aquarium air line hose) comes in all sizes, just a matter
        of finding one that fits the bar hole and is wide enough to fit over
        the rope, I find this dramatically reduces the need to replace the
        chicken loop rope, have had to replace the sleave once in 6 months ---
        In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Rohin Edwards <rohin@a...> wrote:
        > hey u techos,
        > if i want to replace my chicken loop do i hav to use spectra?
        > what about the pre-stretched rope that u use for windsurfing
        downhaul?
        > i am not sure what u call it.
        > surely it would be strong enough, providing it doesnt stretch too
        much.
        > that is the main thing with spectra huh, no stretch, but it wears
        out pretty quick.
        > any advice would be great.
      • kiteboardingjapan
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30 3:25 AM
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Rohin Edwards <rohin@a...> wrote:
          > hey u techos,
          > if i want to replace my chicken loop do i hav to use spectra?
          > what about the pre-stretched rope that u use for windsurfing
          downhaul?
          > i am not sure what u call it.
          > surely it would be strong enough, providing it doesnt stretch too
          much.
          > that is the main thing with spectra huh, no stretch, but it wears
          out pretty quick.
          > any advice would be great.

          Good question. Firstly, all lines will wear out. The pre-stretch that
          I often see used for windsurfing downhaul is 8 plait marlow. In 6-8mm
          sizes it's good for chicken loop rope as it's fairly abrasion
          resistent and is very cheap. Just keep an eye on your line and
          replace it when it shows signs of wear. Many of the other stronger
          looking ropes sold at winsurf shops are usually have a polyester core
          with a smooth outer braid which I think is also polyester. I've been
          told that although this line is strong, once the outer cover wears
          and exposes the core to UV, the strength rapidly depreciates. The 12
          strand spectra braides used by most companies now are very strong but
          this line was originally developed to replace wire ropes on boats and
          not to be abrasive resistent. But as spectra/dyneema is more abrasive
          resistent than polyester, these will probably last the longest.

          I've been looking for the best chickenloop rope myself for a while
          now, and so I would also appreciate other peoples experiences.

          Nick
        • KITEGEAR LTD
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 30 4:01 AM
            Hi Nick

            Marlow do a rope called Excell D12 . In 5mm form it lasts a lot longer
            than spectra & fits all bars. 6mm last longer but it is difficult to fit
            thorugh some bars like the Naish AR5. It's Polyurethane coated, giving
            it some abrasion resistance.
            It can be spliced easily as well.
            I'm not sure if we're allowed to post on this newsgroup if we are
            retailers - not fair on the sponsors - apologies if I have made this
            mistake.
            So - I'll gladly can send you some FOC if you have difficulty getting
            hold of it or if you want to just try it.

            Steve
            sales@...

            > if i want to replace my chicken loop do i hav to use spectra? what
            > about the pre-stretched rope that u use for windsurfing
            downhaul?
            > i am not sure what u call it.
            > surely it would be strong enough, providing it doesnt stretch too
            much.
            > that is the main thing with spectra huh, no stretch, but it wears
            out pretty quick.
            > any advice would be great.

            Good question. Firstly, all lines will wear out. The pre-stretch that
            I often see used for windsurfing downhaul is 8 plait marlow. In 6-8mm
            sizes it's good for chicken loop rope as it's fairly abrasion
            resistent and is very cheap. Just keep an eye on your line and
            replace it when it shows signs of wear. Many of the other stronger
            looking ropes sold at winsurf shops are usually have a polyester core
            with a smooth outer braid which I think is also polyester. I've been
            told that although this line is strong, once the outer cover wears
            and exposes the core to UV, the strength rapidly depreciates. The 12
            strand spectra braides used by most companies now are very strong but
            this line was originally developed to replace wire ropes on boats and
            not to be abrasive resistent. But as spectra/dyneema is more abrasive
            resistent than polyester, these will probably last the longest.

            I've been looking for the best chickenloop rope myself for a while
            now, and so I would also appreciate other peoples experiences.

            Nick

            This group is sponsored by KiteHIGH.com
            For Kitesurfers by Kitesurfers
            http://www.KiteHigh.com
            1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA
            808 637 KITE 5483
            Email:support@...

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • theflyingtinman
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 30 10:00 AM
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "KITEGEAR LTD" <sales@k...> wrote:
              > I'm not sure if we're allowed to post on this newsgroup if we are
              > retailers - not fair on the sponsors - apologies if I have made this
              > mistake.

              No problem - especially with informative posts like that.
              Lots of retailers post here. The etiquette is to add the
              word [COM] to the subject line if your post is simply
              promoting a product that you sell - but I would say your post
              was more informative than just a sales pitch.

              Steve T.
            • captpaul1
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 30 10:34 AM
                I started using a New England Ropes product called "Technora" that is
                available as a 12 plait single braid so it splices like Spectra but
                it's abrasion resistance is many times better than Spectra. It is
                much more difficult to cut (you must use a very sharp knife or razor)
                it won't melt and doesn't hold a knot as well as Spectra, but I just
                replaced a chicken loop last week after about a year of use and it
                was still in decent shape. One of the things I do is high
                performance yacht rigging, and Technora is standard fare on the big
                boats.

                Paul

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Rohin Edwards <rohin@a...> wrote:
                > hey u techos,
                > if i want to replace my chicken loop do i hav to use spectra?
                > what about the pre-stretched rope that u use for windsurfing
                downhaul?
                > i am not sure what u call it.
                > surely it would be strong enough, providing it doesnt stretch too
                much.
                > that is the main thing with spectra huh, no stretch, but it wears
                out pretty quick.
                > any advice would be great.
              • kiteboardingjapan
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2003
                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "captpaul1" <captpaul1@y...> wrote:
                  > I started using a New England Ropes product called "Technora" that
                  is
                  > available as a 12 plait single braid so it splices like Spectra but
                  > it's abrasion resistance is many times better than Spectra. It is
                  > much more difficult to cut (you must use a very sharp knife or
                  razor)
                  > it won't melt and doesn't hold a knot as well as Spectra, but I
                  just
                  > replaced a chicken loop last week after about a year of use and it
                  > was still in decent shape. One of the things I do is high
                  > performance yacht rigging, and Technora is standard fare on the big
                  > boats.

                  Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
                  is "Technora" made of?

                  Nick
                • ichiman1
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 3, 2003
                    I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                    marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat rigs)
                    and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and to
                    a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                    tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub against
                    my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is big
                    enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                    loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.

                    Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                    aren't using steel.
                  • kiteparker
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 3, 2003
                      I considered using SS for the same reasons but haven't tried it. It
                      seems like a good idea to me and so I think I'll try it.

                      One of the reasons I haven't tried it is my line wears out where it
                      goes trough the jam cleat much faster than where it goes through the
                      hole in the bar but it would be a lot easier to replace the jam
                      cleat part of the line.

                      Thanks for the post.

                      Doug

                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                      > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                      > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                      rigs)
                      > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                      > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                      > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                      against
                      > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                      big
                      > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                      > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                      >
                      > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                      > aren't using steel.
                    • captpaul1
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 4, 2003
                        Nick,

                        According to New England Ropes, "Technora" is their "highest strength
                        aramid fiber". It feels, cuts and burns like Kevlar, but has a
                        higher strength and abrasion resistance. Doesn't look anything like
                        Spectra. On racing yachts, Technora is the high-tech line of
                        choice. Down sides are that it doesn't hold a knot as well as
                        Spectra, so splices are better, and it doesn't melt like Spectra, so
                        you have to "whip" the raw ends, tuck them in a splice, or dip them
                        in liquid rubber.

                        Paul

                        > Paul, the stuff your using sounds like spectra/dyneema. What
                        > is "Technora" made of?
                        >
                        > Nick
                      • hink_trent
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 4, 2003
                          My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
                          your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.
                        • Greg Walsh
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 4, 2003
                            I'm currently using a piece of 4mm spectra inside some plastic
                            tubing. It sticks a *little* if you try to sheet in and steer at the
                            same time. Other than that it works fine.

                            Greg
                          • kiteparker
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                              > My fear is that instead of replacing a $2 piece of rope you'll be
                              > your $100 bar when the cable wears through the hole.

                              The cable is sleeved in a plastic tube which protects the bar and
                              the cable. Also, the cable is strong so a small diameter cable
                              could be used. With the plastic tubing the overall diameter would
                              still be less than rope. I think there would be little friction on
                              the bar.
                            • kiteboardingjapan
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                                > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                                > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                                rigs)
                                > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                                > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                                > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                                against
                                > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                                big
                                > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                                > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                                >
                                > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                                > aren't using steel.

                                Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                                why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                                issue.

                                Nick
                              • Kite Power (Sydney)
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                                  Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                                  spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile strength of
                                  steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.
                                  Cya and
                                  Goodwinds
                                  Steve McCormack
                                  http://www.kitepower.com.au

                                  > Message: 23
                                  > Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:17:52 -0000
                                  > From: "kiteboardingjapan" <nick@...>
                                  > Subject: Re: chickenloop rope: why dont you use steel??
                                  >
                                  > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
                                  > > I got tired of chicken loop line wearing so I went to the local
                                  > > marina, got 50cm of 3mm steel cable (the type used for sailboat
                                  > rigs)
                                  > > and had the marina clamp it to the depower system on one side and
                                  > > a quick release shackle on the other. I slid some compressed air
                                  > > tube (I think it's PE) on the cable so the steel does not rub
                                  > against
                                  > > my bar. My bars have the depower hole off-center, so the hole is
                                  > big
                                  > > enough for the cable. I think I won't need to replace my chicken
                                  > > loop for the next 10 years. I'll post some pictures if you want.
                                  > >
                                  > > Highly recommend this approach - I can't imagine why manufacturers
                                  > > aren't using steel.
                                  >
                                  > Considering Spectra is stronger than the same thickness steel cable,
                                  > why not just use this? If your using tubing there won't be a wear
                                  > issue.
                                  >
                                  > Nick
                                • Anthony
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@k...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Thats a really good point Nick, last time I read some techo stuff on
                                    > spectra/dyneema it said that it was approx 10 TIMES the tensile
                                    strength of
                                    > steel. Covering the rope with aquarium tube will make it last.

                                    Yeah stell suffers a lot more from metal fatigue than rope will. It
                                    is not meant to have knots tied in it or any sharp bends. It is
                                    definitly not meant to be bent backwards and forwards many time.

                                    Alternativelly you can get a bolt on fairlead for your bar from any
                                    marine store. Here I got one that fits onto the North bar as well as
                                    the older Naish bars for AU$15.00. Works great, I have never had a
                                    stock standard chickenloop wear out on me!
                                  • Todd
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                                      Or you could use PBO 1/8'' HAS 4,000 LB tensil strength put a
                                      polyester jacket over it should last awhile. But I wouldn't know not
                                      a dangler. I do use the PBO for leaders no stretch or creep while
                                      flying . Fly be wire response. APSLTD.com they also have some realy
                                      kool connectors too,

                                      ToDd