Re: Kite sizes and Types

  • woodman_k
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hey
      After you get comfortable with the power you can handle the same or
      more power on snow as water. If it's icy..ish than of course you need
      way less.
      Check out kite kitevideo.com and SEE powered LEI kites in nice deep
      snow.

      Don't get foils just for snow...save your money!

      Stan

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "theflyingtinman"
      <theflyingtinman@y...> wrote:
      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...>
      wrote:
      > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ninider" <nderobertis@l...>

      > > > I think a LEI is not a good option for kitesnowboarding,
      according
      > > > me you should get a guerilla arc from Peter Lynn.
      > >

      > > That's exactly what I was going to suggest. A "standard" ARC
      would
      > > be fine too. A couple of their advantages include ease of
      relaunch
      > > after crashing on land or water, & very nearly NO pull once
      released
      > > to the depowering leash.
      > >
      > > Mel
      >
      > The ideal solution is modern regular foils (open cell) for
      snowboarding
      > (or other land use) and your choice, based on other preferences, of
      LEI,
      > sled-foil or regular foil (valved cell) for the water.
      > If you are constrained by finances to one kite type then I have to
      agree
      > that a sled-foil is by far the best solution - I use Arcs for water
      and
      > snow. I find I use a smaller kite for the same wind on snow though.
      >
      > Steve T.
    • Marleau Belanger
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        Unless you want to get foils for all around flying...they're way better
        in the winter and if you learn how to fly them then they should stay in
        the air pretty much all the time. You can get a 9M foil for the same
        price as a 3M Bladder kite and the 9M foil will have as much power as a
        13M Bladder.

        Speaking of saving money....

        MArleau

        <theflyingtinman@y...> wrote:
        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "kiteboard2000" <kiteboarder@p...>
        wrote:
        > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ninider" <nderobertis@l...>

        > > > I think a LEI is not a good option for kitesnowboarding,
        according
        > > > me you should get a guerilla arc from Peter Lynn.
        > >

        > > That's exactly what I was going to suggest. A "standard" ARC
        would
        > > be fine too. A couple of their advantages include ease of
        relaunch
        > > after crashing on land or water, & very nearly NO pull once
        released
        > > to the depowering leash.
        > >
        > > Mel
        >
        > The ideal solution is modern regular foils (open cell) for
        snowboarding
        > (or other land use) and your choice, based on other preferences, of
        LEI,
        > sled-foil or regular foil (valved cell) for the water.
        > If you are constrained by finances to one kite type then I have to
        agree
        > that a sled-foil is by far the best solution - I use Arcs for water
        and
        > snow. I find I use a smaller kite for the same wind on snow though.
        >
        > Steve T.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • woodman_k
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
          Steve
          When was the last time you flew a kite in an open ice covered bay
          with 1 ft of powder in steady 25knots?? You can boost like hell and
          we do it without calling 911 after every jump!

          I can tell you from lots of experience that LEI's work and so do
          foils. Here in the great white north of Canada we have lots of time
          to test and LEI's are the best year round option...sorry.
          Stan

          Stan--- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"
          <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > Subject: Re: Kite sizes and Types
          >
          > If you want real performance, without the fragility of an inflato
          (when used
          > on land) go for a foil. Some specific kites that do work well, and
          depower
          > as well as or better than inflatos, and are easy to turn, have
          great safety
          > systems (better than all kites designed for use on the water so
          far), then
          > get hold of one of these brands.
          >
          > Flexifoil Blade 2 with depower kit, ideal sizes would be 6.4/7.8
          and 9.0M
          > Flexifoil Blade 3 with depower kit on a bar 8.5M
          > Flexifoil Blade 3 on handles with kite killers, 8.5M
          >
          > Ozone Frenzy 9.3 or 12.0
          >
          > Inflatos or any kite designed for exclusive use on water would be
          my last
          > choice for snow or land use. People who have never flown foils, or
          who have
          > only flown some of the cheapies out there, may disagree, but all
          experienced
          > kiters I know, would tend to agree that open celled foils work best
          on
          > land/snow.
          > If you boost high on land or snow, you are risking your life or
          your ability
          > to walk, so make sure you really do know what you are doing, avoid
          gusty
          > conditions - find other things to do, or deliberately use a much
          smaller
          > kite that day, with safety system fitted.
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > http://www.kitepower.com.au
        • Marleau Belanger
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
            How Many LEI kites can you get for 2500 bucks? I have 5 JOJO kites which
            I can Mountainboard, buggy, kitesurf and kiteboard with from 5 knots up
            to 40 knots...althought I don't kitesurf in 40 knots.
            Later

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
              Hi
              It's too bad that it takes 5 jojo's to do 5-40. That just proves how
              small the windrange is on basic no depower foils. I would say that 2
              LEI's will do 10-30, which is realistic water and snow conditions.
              For 2500Cdn that is possible. In US you can get that 3rd kite if you
              need it.
              later
              Stan