[ksurf] Re: Wind directions and variations

  • E VOLSCHENK
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 1998
      > In a message dated 10/29/98 9:24:47 AM EST, martin@... writes:
      >
      > << When you are selecting a venue to Kitesurf will a high cliff at the back
      > of a narrow beach effect the the behaviour of the wind? Where I live in
      > the UK I have a beach that is quite long but not very wide. The distance
      > between the waters edge and the cliff face is probably only 20-30 metres
      > (more at low tide) and the cliff rises to quite a height (on a light
      > wind they paraglide)....My question is as follows..........If for
      > instance the wind is cross or on-shore will it be possible and safe to
      > sail or will the wind hitting a cliff as it comes of the sea make the
      > kite fly badly? >>
      > Martin,

      You should be careful getting to close to the cliff. The updrift along
      the cliff would actually occur quite a distance away from the cliff,
      so that isn't going to present a problem. It will minimally increase
      your kite's ability to fly overhead but then again, it will get dumped.
      As for the wind close to the cliff, stay away. Pure chaos, I've
      seen it happen a few times before. The kiter gets into the turbulence,
      and suddenly no control, the kite rapidly power's up and lets go, the
      gusts could pull you clean out of the water. It delivers great air if
      you can handle the turbulence. !!!

      Cheers

      Waterbug