[ksurf] Re: Landing a foil, reinforce the brake tabs.

  • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, georgeiw@a... wrote:

      snip

      > I have seen this on other foil kites and it is a good point to sew
      the tabs on with reinforcement. It also seems like a good idea to
      sew right to the bottom edge where you have both the top and bottom
      layers to take the force. This can easily be done with a machine or
      by hand in less than 10 minutes.
      > george

      The brake tabs on the Vector are sewn into the TE seam. There are
      plenty of layers of fabric but I think it is not mechanically a very
      strong arrangement.

      It is better to open the seams in the bottom surface of the kite and
      sew the tabs in there (the same as the other bridle attachment
      points) with some repair tape patches inside as reinforcing and load
      spreaders. It is very much stronger and I have not had a failure
      since I have done this. The seam is flat and very easy to sew with a
      normal sewing machine.

      Greg

      Greg