Re: [ksurf] Re: Landing a foil, reinforce the brake tabs.

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
      In a message dated 3/2/2003 8:43:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, Greg.Walsh@... writes:

      > Subj: [ksurf] Re: Landing a foil
      > Date: 3/2/2003 8:43:12 PM Eastern Standard Time
      > From: "Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@...>" <Greg.Walsh@...>
      > To: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent from the Internet (Details)
      >

      > It's worth pointing out that using the single brake line to retrieve
      > your kite can put a lot of load on the brake attachment points in
      > very strong conditions. I have managed to pull a brake tab off of my
      > Vectors on a couple of occasions. They are easy to sew back on by
      > hand. On one kite I replaced the tabs and put reinforcing
      > tape inside
      > the kite and it has been bullet proof since.
      >
      > Regards

      I have seen this on other foil kites and it is a good point to sew the tabs on with reinforcement. It also seems like a good idea to sew right to the bottom edge where you have both the top and bottom layers to take the force. This can easily be done with a machine or by hand in less than 10 minutes.
      george
    • Greg Walsh <Greg.Walsh@bigpond.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, georgeiw@a... wrote:

        snip

        > I have seen this on other foil kites and it is a good point to sew
        the tabs on with reinforcement. It also seems like a good idea to
        sew right to the bottom edge where you have both the top and bottom
        layers to take the force. This can easily be done with a machine or
        by hand in less than 10 minutes.
        > george

        The brake tabs on the Vector are sewn into the TE seam. There are
        plenty of layers of fabric but I think it is not mechanically a very
        strong arrangement.

        It is better to open the seams in the bottom surface of the kite and
        sew the tabs in there (the same as the other bridle attachment
        points) with some repair tape patches inside as reinforcing and load
        spreaders. It is very much stronger and I have not had a failure
        since I have done this. The seam is flat and very easy to sew with a
        normal sewing machine.

        Greg

        Greg