[ksurf] Re: A story of woe...

  • Martin Rothwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 1998
      Greg Johnson wrote:

      > I have one memory of launch - tremendous power.
      > One memory of flight - tremendous speed.
      > One memory of landing - tremendous pain.

      My friend had a similar experience when we first started to attempt
      kite-surfing. It was a typical English day (raining cats and dogs and blowing
      about 50mph). He went to the beach on his own and launched a 5sqm wipika wing.
      The wind took hold of the kite and he says he promptly departed from our planet
      at high rate of knots. Instinct tells you not to let go and he therefore landed
      about 25 metres downwind with his hand taking full force of the impact. It
      quite simply snapped. Being on a windy English beach with no-one else around he
      then had to pack the kite and carry it and the board back to the car. Like you,
      not wanting to damage his wetsuit he pulled it off over his hand (ouch) and
      then drove himself one-handed to the hospital some 30 miles away and changing
      gear by steering with his knees and using the other hand.

      Since then we have both learnt how powerful the wind can be and take more
      caution. Still experienced quite a few bumps, lumps and bruises since then. The
      most recent being when I pulled an air (only a little one) and my front foot
      came out the foot-strap and my back foot remained attached. The board went
      forwards and I stayed still. The result was extreme agony and a slow painful
      walk back up the beach. Mind you, it wasn't as bad as when I fell of my
      mountain bike at 30mph and stuck the handle bar stem straight through my other
      knee. Now that really hurt and sitting in the local casualty department of the
      hospital for two hours in skin tight lycra was even worse.

      Get well soon!!!

      Martin.

      Anyone else have any stories to tell?