Re: [ksurf] Landing a foil

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2003
      I have bunch of foils and I prefer them in really heavy wind because you can keep them down by holding them on the water and letting them take in some water to the point that they won't fly anymore. You can't do this with an inflatable. I have also pulled in one line. sometimes I wind it around the bar if it is really blowing and it is hard to hold the line.

      Another alternative is to take 2 or three wraps with one brake line and then start winding all of them together. The brake line will be the shortest and that way it will keep the kite from flying. If the line breaks you have 3 left but it can get nasty.
      Never wind the 3 or 4 lines evenly in windy conditions. Once my 16 m rhino took off on me with a gust and the lines half wound up. I came close to losing a finger and I do not really know what happened it went so fast.

      If you wind just one line clear up the mess as soon as you get to shore. roll up and pin down the kite. Unwind the one line and then wind up the group together.
      Good luck,
      George