North Scepter Bar

  • Daniel Lamar
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2003
      Have been using the Scepter bar now for about two months, on 30 or more
      outings, so, in reply to previous post, it has survived the weekend without
      falling apart for me and the other riders here who use it regularly.
      Agree it has some pluses and minuses.

      The bar itself works well, and one can tailor it to your liking with some
      tinkering. It's a definite step up for me in how it performs over the old
      Rodeo Bar. The center hole instead of a bolted on fairlead gives a different
      feel when sheeting in and out that gives a little more stability and makes
      controlling the bar with one hand much easier for me.

      The bar itself is slightly smaller in diameter and padded slightly and
      comfortable in the hands.

      The adjustment from inner to outer attachment points for the back lines is
      simple and allows changing from 50 to 58 cm. with the same bar. It works
      well on 8 to 16 meter Rhino II. I haven't tried it yet on the 18 and 20m
      Rhino II, on these I have been using the longer 62 and 78 cm rodeo bar. The
      20 meter Rhino turns surprisingly fast with the 78 cm bar. North claims it
      works fine with the scepter bar. I will have to try it sometime to find out.

      I ride shackled in to the chicken loop all the time with a Wichard QR, and
      so I take off the fixed harness line. This helps clean up the complexity
      some. The chicken loop itself has a built in QR on it, and I have had this
      release unintentionally a few times. Duct tape on the stainless steel
      rectangular loop that goes up inside the rubber bumper slider thing can help
      prevent this. Like wise on the leash QR, a little duct tape over the
      stainless steel pin has solved all my unintentional release problems. I
      attach the female end of the plastic buckle of the leash to my Wichard QR
      with a short segment of line tied in just above the release bar on the
      shackle, so it spins together with the shackle.

      I haven't had a problem yet with the back line adjustment straps, but will
      simply replace them with spectra line if I do.

      I agree that the depower strap is not ideal. It is difficult to release the
      trim strap after it has been pulled down, mostly because it is hard to
      reach, too far away. I shorten the main blue spectra line a little by
      untying the knot where it attaches to the adjustment strap and retying in
      shorter. This puts the sweet spot a little closer to me so my arms don't
      feel stretched out to far, and brings the release for the trim strap a
      little closer also.

      I have had problems one time with the knot on the leashed line not sliding
      through the neoprene guides at the end of the depower strap when I release
      the bar, and hence the kite did not depower properly. The leashed line got
      hung up on the knot where the leader line attaches to the kite line. Upon
      inspection I relized that the knot was a quite big because to the way I
      attached the lines together... I attached them properly now the knot is
      smaller and slides through more easily.

      IF one pays attention to these details, I think the bar is basically good.
      North has gotten some things right, and fallen short in some critical areas
      that can be remedied, but it sure would be nice it they had remedied these
      things themselves. Hopefully they will pay attention to these criticisms
      and remedy the problem areas in the near future.

      Contact me if you are looking for very good prices on North Kites.

      six50
      rflamar@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2003
        A friend of mine has the new Rhino but cant find anything anywhere regarding
        tuning the kite.
        I was advising him to tune it in the same way as a Mach 1. Put it in the air
        and when in the fixed harness loop adjust the trim strap so that the spars
        are parallel. Does anyone know is this the same for all LEI`s and in
        particular the Rhino`s.

        Regards.
        Steve
        steve@... <mailto:steve@...>
        Ph: 087-7993612
      • blauwsalon <blauwsalon@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
          Daniel,

          Could you please explain how you attach your leash to the spinning
          part of your Wichard QR ?
          Are you using the Wichard 2673 ?
          http://www.wichard.com/catalogue/catalogue_en.php?
          FAMILLE=8.0&SSFAMILLE1=8.0&SSFAMILLE2=1.0&SSFAMILLE3=0&REFERENCE=2673

        • periku@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 9:05 AM
            And why don't you flame North for a dangerous instruction manual and you flamed PL for the lack of a decent manual for his kites? Why don't you stop selling their kites? They've proven they can put you in serious peril because of gear failure...

            Of course it's not the same. ARCs are shit and Norths are great, whatever they perform or they endanger your lifes ;-)

            Just joking, but think about it.

            Safe must be the most important I+D issue on KiteBoarding Companies. It's good that the present year kites fly better, have greater range and last for more than past year's ones. I think that every firm must sell ONLY well-proved, boom-proof, fail-safe gear.

            Sorry for my awful English.

            -------------------------------------

            Pedro desde Cartagena.

            Procesado desde Palm Tungsten T.

            Buenos Vientos.
          • Todd
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6 10:11 AM
              Safety sHIT iD bE WORRIED THE Norh KITE WOULD FALL APART IN THE skY
              WhILe fLyinG. i THouGHt NOrtH waS knOWn FOR ThEIR CONSTRuction. The
              NeW rINho tWO's Look LIKe THeY WerE MadE LikE thE firsT wIpKIs. looK
              at THe PISS poor stITchINg. AnD THe giAnt HOLes THe nEEDLE lEFT on
              THe lEADiNg EDge i CoulD See THe bLADDer ON thREE kiTES i LookED aT
              wHeN iNflATed............ HeY but VerY Fun KITes To flY . kINda
              RmINDed mE of thE OLd Ar5 NaIsH kItes. bUT youR Gonna hAVE TO buy
              TWicE As mANY wOULD Be My GUess AftER LookinG aT thE
              coNSTRuctIon......... gOod MaRKETing plOY

              ToDd

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, periku@h... wrote:
              > Safe must be the most important I+D issue on KiteBoarding
              Companies. It's good that the present year kites fly better, have
              greater range and last for more than past year's ones. I think that
              every firm must sell ONLY well-proved, boom-proof, fail-safe gear.

              > Sorry for my awful English.

              > Pedro desde Cartagena.
              >
              > Procesado desde Palm Tungsten T.
              >
              > Buenos Vientos.
            • rohin156
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6 6:58 PM
                I THINK ALL KITES SHUD BE SOLD KITE ONLY.
                THEN U PAY LESS FOR A KITE AND ONCE U PUT TOGETHER THE BAR, SAFETY &
                LINE LENGTH U LIKE U JUST KEEP IT TILL IT WEARS OUT.