[ksurf] Re: EX'S Wave vs. KiteSurfer Foil

  • trpi@california.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
      I have experience with the Quadrifoil X series, the Kitesurfer X series
      and the flexifoil blades.

      > Which one is higher aspect?

      The blade series are higher aspect, but the Quadrifoils have more edge
      of window power.

      > Size vs. wind issues? Should I go with a larger size and brake more
      often >when winds get stronger?

      Just like windsurfing you need to change kites in stronger or weaker
      wind. The 4.8 XL is good from 15 to 23 or so. The XXL 6.3 is good 12
      to 19mph.

      > How fast are they(compared to other types as well)? - does anyone use
      > the response rings with the Kitesurfer?

      I think the kitesurfers are even more efficient, as fast and powerful
      than the standard Comp X's. Perhaps less drag at the leading edge.
      The kitesurfers are as responsive.
      I have not found a need to use the response rings. The kites turn
      well. I find they get tangled and I always forget to check them before
      I launch. Some of my friends use the response rings, personel choice
      it seems.

      > Do you use standard quad handles or special booms for four lines?

      I use handles attached to a bar. Most other folks I've seen use
      handles only. I like the bar with handles for jump tricks, you can let
      go.

      > Any other dependencies worth mentioning? - line length..

      I like 75 ft on the XXL & XL, the XXXL I like 100 ft. Again what ever
      a person is used to and the beach conditions.

      > Other players worth considering? F-One for example? new Blade?

      I have a 4.9 blade and 3.3 blade. The 4.9 is a great jumper with a
      good wind range 15 to 22mph The 3.3 is very stable in winds 20 to 26
      or so. I have found from my limited experience that high performance
      small foils are a handfull in winds over 20. So my favorite small kite
      now is the 3.3 blade. I can re-launch the blades ~ 50% of the time.
      The key is not to drop them.

      I added a couple of Quadrifoil Kitesurfers so I would not be afraid to
      jump in areas where swimming in would take a long time. I find the 4.9
      blade and the XL to be comprable. The Quadrifoils seem to stay in the
      window eaiser, hold it steady and go. I notice the blade tends to
      overfly a bit (perhaps faster) so it requires a little more movement.
      Not a problem. I would recommend from my experience the Kitesurfer
      series. Great construction, water-relaunch and top performance.

      I've seen guys do great on the F-1's and Concept Airs. Key is to get a
      kite and use it until you get good. Then you may be like everyone
      else and say your equip. is the best and all others suck.

      Regards -Ted