[ksurf] EX'S Wave vs. KiteSurfer Foil

  • jelias@ccnet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
      I'm new to the sport and I'm considering these two foils for
      kitesurfing.
      I'm looking for personal experiences (and I don't expect anyone to have
      experience with both for a true C&C)with these kites. I understand that
      these may not be the kites to learn with, but I'm pretty spoiled with
      high AR foils for land use and expect quick response and efficency.
      Do they relaunch as well as advertised (considering their higher AR)?
      Bridle complexity and tangles?
      Closed valve technology performance - do they puff up quick and hold
      air? Luff alot?
      How many valves? - are there any soft spots or other areas that don't
      inflate well?
      How well does water drain if it does get in?
      Which one is higher aspect?
      Size vs. wind issues? - I'm thinking of starting out with the 4.8m or
      XL for medium wind. Is this a good size to start with? Should I go with
      a larger size and brake more often when winds get stronger?
      How fast are they(compared to other types as well)? - does anyone use
      the response rings with the Kitesurfer?
      I've never seen the kites in the flesh - how do they compare to their
      non-water counterparts? Are they fatter? Slower? Can they be used for
      land as well or are there tradeoffs in engineering made for water
      launching ability?
      Do you use standard quad handles or special booms for four lines?
      Any other dependencies worth mentioning? - line length, preferable
      harness? board? etc.
      Other players worth considering? F-One for example? new Blade?

      Thanks ahead of time.
      Joel.
    • trpi@california.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
        I have experience with the Quadrifoil X series, the Kitesurfer X series
        and the flexifoil blades.

        > Which one is higher aspect?

        The blade series are higher aspect, but the Quadrifoils have more edge
        of window power.

        > Size vs. wind issues? Should I go with a larger size and brake more
        often >when winds get stronger?

        Just like windsurfing you need to change kites in stronger or weaker
        wind. The 4.8 XL is good from 15 to 23 or so. The XXL 6.3 is good 12
        to 19mph.

        > How fast are they(compared to other types as well)? - does anyone use
        > the response rings with the Kitesurfer?

        I think the kitesurfers are even more efficient, as fast and powerful
        than the standard Comp X's. Perhaps less drag at the leading edge.
        The kitesurfers are as responsive.
        I have not found a need to use the response rings. The kites turn
        well. I find they get tangled and I always forget to check them before
        I launch. Some of my friends use the response rings, personel choice
        it seems.

        > Do you use standard quad handles or special booms for four lines?

        I use handles attached to a bar. Most other folks I've seen use
        handles only. I like the bar with handles for jump tricks, you can let
        go.

        > Any other dependencies worth mentioning? - line length..

        I like 75 ft on the XXL & XL, the XXXL I like 100 ft. Again what ever
        a person is used to and the beach conditions.

        > Other players worth considering? F-One for example? new Blade?

        I have a 4.9 blade and 3.3 blade. The 4.9 is a great jumper with a
        good wind range 15 to 22mph The 3.3 is very stable in winds 20 to 26
        or so. I have found from my limited experience that high performance
        small foils are a handfull in winds over 20. So my favorite small kite
        now is the 3.3 blade. I can re-launch the blades ~ 50% of the time.
        The key is not to drop them.

        I added a couple of Quadrifoil Kitesurfers so I would not be afraid to
        jump in areas where swimming in would take a long time. I find the 4.9
        blade and the XL to be comprable. The Quadrifoils seem to stay in the
        window eaiser, hold it steady and go. I notice the blade tends to
        overfly a bit (perhaps faster) so it requires a little more movement.
        Not a problem. I would recommend from my experience the Kitesurfer
        series. Great construction, water-relaunch and top performance.

        I've seen guys do great on the F-1's and Concept Airs. Key is to get a
        kite and use it until you get good. Then you may be like everyone
        else and say your equip. is the best and all others suck.

        Regards -Ted