Re: going to Cabarete

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca <hungvu@netcom.ca>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier <cglazier@c...>"
      <cglazier@c...> wrote:
      > I hope you have better luck than me, I just got back from a week
      > there with virtually no wind. :-(

      Chris,

      Normally the wind is stronger around full moon (1 or 2 days before
      full moon and a few days after full moon). Next time, select a period
      which include full moon.

      Hung.
    • loco4viento <loco4viento@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
        Hi Hung,

        I often hear this stuff about winds and the lunar cycle. What about
        new moon or half moon? Why might this be? Is it true? I'd really
        like to see some kind of weather/wind charts that document this
        phenomenon and hear an explanation why it should occur.

        Thanks,

        John

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
          John,

          Very good question.

          I started noticing this "full moon full wind" phenomenon in summer
          1999 or 2000 when a local windsurfer/kitesurfer at Costamba, Dominican
          Republic (near Puerto Plata, 25 minutes drive from Cabarete) mentioned
          it. During my stay there, the wind did behave very much as he said.
          Since then I have verified this phemomenon twice during my vacations
          and it hasn't yet failed.

          I also noticed that this page indicating the same "full moon full
          wind" phenomenon for Phan Thiet, Viet Nam: "Wind in this area is
          usually strongest during the week before and the week after a full
          moon" from http://www.surfasia.com/vietnam/index.html

          I have no scientific explaination for this phenomenon; however,
          aparently someone has done some statistical analysis of this
          phenomenon as in http://www.latitude38.com/letters/200207.htm (search
          for "THE WEREWOLF EFFECT" ) - very similar to what you ask. I can
          only guess that maybe full moon warms the nights more such that the
          land can warm sooner during the day to speed up and strengthen the
          normal ocean/land wind effect in addition to the regular wind?

          Chris, what was the moon like when you were there?

          Hung.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco4viento <loco4viento@y...>"

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
            Hi again Hung,

            Interesting stuff. I have heard the same thing in the Mexican
            fishing village where I have spent lots of time throughout my life. I
            am often a bit skeptical of some of these things I hear without
            any data to back up the statement, especially when I can't figure
            out an explanation that satisfies me. But of course that doesn't
            make it any more or less possible.

            It would be cool if some intellicast/weather
            underground/accuweather type of site actually published wind
            data related to the lunar cycle. Maybe Farmer's Almanac? I'd love
            to see it. I'd like to see it for different sites and even see if wind
            direction (in addition to speed) at a given site is in any way
            related to the lunar cycle.

            How about you and I and anyone else hunt around for any such
            data? I'll see what I can dig up from a meteorology buddy of
            mine.

            Talk to you later. Gotta go fly my kite. It's unusually windy out here
            and I gotta catch it before dark as there's not much of a moon
            tonight (full moon in 11 more days). ;-))))

          • Chris Glazier <cglazier@canada.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
              <hungvu@n...> wrote:
              > Chris, what was the moon like when you were there?

              Hung.
              I don't remember seeing the moon as it was so overcast and rainy
              every night. There was apparently a large storm in late January that
              affected the whole carribean. I will pay more attention to the moon
              cycles, but this is the first I have heard of them affecting wind.

              Chris G
            • dlent@nycap.rr.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2003
                I don't know about the full moon in Cabarete but I've been going to Cape Hatteras
                every April for the past 15 years for wind related fun and we always get the best wind
                days around the full moon. The rest of the season at Cape Cod, where I usually kite,
                it seems to be windier around the full moon but I don't know if its because there the
                wind is affected by the tide, with the lunar high tide flooding more of the colder
                ocean water into the bays and sounds and beaches. The full moon effect is not
                noted or recognized by the meteorologists, but the tides affecting the strength and
                duration of the wind is. Its often included in our "Ikitesurf" forecasts where often the
                forecast will be "winds 15 to 25, with possible lifting off the wind off the surface at
                high tide". In the spring and fall we often have winds at low tide at 25+ and then
                when the tide comes in the wind level will "lift" above the surface. Sometimes the
                level will sit about 25 feet up and this has a very interesting affect. The kiters will be
                fully lit on their 10's and the windsurfers will not even be able to shlog with their
                biggest sails and boards. Its pretty interesting if you show up at the beach first
                because you'll check out the windsurfers bitching on the beach about where's the
                forecasted wind and put up your big kite and get hammered.
                Don't know if there's a correlation between this phenomena and the full moon but I
                wonder...