Re: Italy

  • Jo Macdonald <mrjomacdonald@virgilio.it>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi Fede,
      All of Italy is beautiful in the spring, you could consider Sicily,
      I just got back from Mazzara del Vallo which is at the furthest west
      tip of the island, you can move around the coast to catch the right
      wind direction on various days, check out the statistics on
      http://www.windfinder.com/windreports/windkarte_it.htm

      If you do go there make sure you visit the stagnone which is north-
      west of Mazzara, it's a surreal place where the coast is sheltered
      behind the stagnone island, with 20 knots of wind the water isn't
      even choppy and is only about 1.5 m deep. Some launch sites can be a
      bit doggy, you should get about half the days with + 4 bft.
      If you've got time driving down through Italy might be nice, the
      ferry costs 33 euro return from the mainland near Reggio Calabria to
      Sicily (Messina).
      The Sicilians are good people too, easy to make friends and the
      food's great.

      Another great area is the Gargano in Puglia, very scienic and big
      beaches, be sure to look up JJ who's a kite instructor and Giampy
      and Angie at the Rock bar for good music and times at night.
      Have fun
      Jo
    • ninider <nderobertis@libero.it>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Federico A. Cetta" <fcetta@i...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I would like to know wich are the best places in Italy for
        kitesurfing.
        > Thanks.
        > Federico.
        Hi Federico
        I live in Puglia, we have great spots if the wind comes from nord-
        west (Monopoli, lido bizzarro in Torrecanne, lido Apani in
        Brindisi..) and also great spots if the wind comes from south (Marina
        di Castellaneta, Marina di Ugento, S.Maria di Leuca, Porto Cesareo..)
        Good wind
        Nini