Re: 2003 Gaastra GXR

  • vasvari54 <Shenmen@starmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hi Francisco,
      I have an 8, 12 and 16.5 GXR. I weigh less than you (68kg), and I
      use a small 142cm twin tip and a 6' directional. The 16.5 on a big
      board gets me going in very light wind (from 7-8 knots), and gets
      scary above 15 knots even on the small tray. It feels very powerful.
      I found it extremely stable, does not fly behind me, and does not
      fall off the sky unless the wind really stops. It is a high aspect
      kite, so you need to be skilled to relaunge it in very light wind,
      but there is no problem in higher wind. In higher winds, it is fast,
      but turns very smoothly, and lifts very smoothly in jumps. Two of my
      experienced kiter mates say, that it is very effective in jumps and
      has a long hangtime. I can't comment to this, as I just started to
      jump in the last 2 months. In higher wind you may get away with your
      short bar, but ususally you will find it speedier when you use your
      long bar. (I have both length, and I use the shorter for the 8 and
      the 12, but the long one for the 16.5). In regard to durability, it
      looks very strong, but I have them only for a few months, so I dont
      know.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "zetabetamu <soloflight@c...>"
      <soloflight@c...> wrote:
      > I will be purchasing a 16.5 GXR soon. Any inputs on this kite
      > regarding performance ,durability, steering feel ( light or heavy)
      low
    • zetabetamu <soloflight@cox.net>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hi! How's that quiver work for you? Is there a lot of overlap between
        the 16.5 and the 12? I was also thinking of having the same quiver,or
        maybe if feasible go straight to a 10.0 as my high wind kite. Is that
        too large a gap?
        Francisco

        Callum,
        Is it at least as fast as an X2 16? I would assume that it also has a
        similar high end wind range as the X2 bec. you mentioned that it is
        easy to edge against. Did you personally like it after having flown
        it a few times?
        Francisco

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "vasvari54 <Shenmen@s...>"

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          Francesco, these kites have quite a large wind range. My 12 and 16.5
          certainly overlap. In some days I have a choice between an easy ride
          or some high jumps. The 12 Gastra is certainly more powerful than
          the 12 Aero. I don't see much overlap between the GXR 12 and 8. I
          think you can manage with a 10 and a 16.5, as the 16.5 depowers very
          effectively, while the 10 would likely to get you going above 17
          knots. But I would not know for sure as I have not tried a 10. In a
          week or so I will know more about it, as my friend ordered a 10.
          Cheers,
          Andrash