Re: 2003 Gaastra GXR

  • callum_downie <callum_downie@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hey, I have ridden this kite a few times as a couple of friends have
      them

      The bar presure is moderatly light - a little heavier than an 11.8
      airblast but not bad - it's good - you feel the kite more.

      I would say the kite has signifcantly more low end than a 16m x2...
      the turn speed is excellent. they're easy to depower by edging too -
      which at your weight is a good thing...

      My friends use the bars they got with the 12m kites on them, not the
      long bars that come with them. I think the 12m bar is ~50cm what ever
      that is in inches

      Callum

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "zetabetamu <soloflight@c...>"
      <soloflight@c...> wrote:
      > I will be purchasing a 16.5 GXR soon. Any inputs on this kite
      > regarding performance ,durability, steering feel ( light or heavy)
      low
    • vasvari54 <Shenmen@starmail.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hi Francisco,
        I have an 8, 12 and 16.5 GXR. I weigh less than you (68kg), and I
        use a small 142cm twin tip and a 6' directional. The 16.5 on a big
        board gets me going in very light wind (from 7-8 knots), and gets
        scary above 15 knots even on the small tray. It feels very powerful.
        I found it extremely stable, does not fly behind me, and does not
        fall off the sky unless the wind really stops. It is a high aspect
        kite, so you need to be skilled to relaunge it in very light wind,
        but there is no problem in higher wind. In higher winds, it is fast,
        but turns very smoothly, and lifts very smoothly in jumps. Two of my
        experienced kiter mates say, that it is very effective in jumps and
        has a long hangtime. I can't comment to this, as I just started to
        jump in the last 2 months. In higher wind you may get away with your
        short bar, but ususally you will find it speedier when you use your
        long bar. (I have both length, and I use the shorter for the 8 and
        the 12, but the long one for the 16.5). In regard to durability, it
        looks very strong, but I have them only for a few months, so I dont
        know.

      • zetabetamu <soloflight@cox.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hi! How's that quiver work for you? Is there a lot of overlap between
          the 16.5 and the 12? I was also thinking of having the same quiver,or
          maybe if feasible go straight to a 10.0 as my high wind kite. Is that
          too large a gap?
          Francisco

          Callum,
          Is it at least as fast as an X2 16? I would assume that it also has a
          similar high end wind range as the X2 bec. you mentioned that it is
          easy to edge against. Did you personally like it after having flown
          it a few times?
          Francisco

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "vasvari54 <Shenmen@s...>"

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
            Francesco, these kites have quite a large wind range. My 12 and 16.5
            certainly overlap. In some days I have a choice between an easy ride
            or some high jumps. The 12 Gastra is certainly more powerful than
            the 12 Aero. I don't see much overlap between the GXR 12 and 8. I
            think you can manage with a 10 and a 16.5, as the 16.5 depowers very
            effectively, while the 10 would likely to get you going above 17
            knots. But I would not know for sure as I have not tried a 10. In a
            week or so I will know more about it, as my friend ordered a 10.
            Cheers,
            Andrash