2003 Gaastra GXR

  • zetabetamu <soloflight@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      I will be purchasing a 16.5 GXR soon. Any inputs on this kite
      regarding performance ,durability, steering feel ( light or heavy)low
      and high end wind range. I've previously owned an 11.8 Airblast and a
      16 X2, how does this compare to these 2 kites( great high end range
      and light feel)? I weigh 155 lbs and ride a 147 SS drake. I believe
      the bar is 25 inches long, does it have to be this long or can I get
      away with 20-22 inch long bar? Any comments on this would be greatly
      appreciated.Thanks in advance.
      Francisco
    • callum_downie <callum_downie@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hey, I have ridden this kite a few times as a couple of friends have
        them

        The bar presure is moderatly light - a little heavier than an 11.8
        airblast but not bad - it's good - you feel the kite more.

        I would say the kite has signifcantly more low end than a 16m x2...
        the turn speed is excellent. they're easy to depower by edging too -
        which at your weight is a good thing...

        My friends use the bars they got with the 12m kites on them, not the
        long bars that come with them. I think the 12m bar is ~50cm what ever
        that is in inches

        Callum

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "zetabetamu <soloflight@c...>"
      • vasvari54 <Shenmen@starmail.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hi Francisco,
          I have an 8, 12 and 16.5 GXR. I weigh less than you (68kg), and I
          use a small 142cm twin tip and a 6' directional. The 16.5 on a big
          board gets me going in very light wind (from 7-8 knots), and gets
          scary above 15 knots even on the small tray. It feels very powerful.
          I found it extremely stable, does not fly behind me, and does not
          fall off the sky unless the wind really stops. It is a high aspect
          kite, so you need to be skilled to relaunge it in very light wind,
          but there is no problem in higher wind. In higher winds, it is fast,
          but turns very smoothly, and lifts very smoothly in jumps. Two of my
          experienced kiter mates say, that it is very effective in jumps and
          has a long hangtime. I can't comment to this, as I just started to
          jump in the last 2 months. In higher wind you may get away with your
          short bar, but ususally you will find it speedier when you use your
          long bar. (I have both length, and I use the shorter for the 8 and
          the 12, but the long one for the 16.5). In regard to durability, it
          looks very strong, but I have them only for a few months, so I dont
          know.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            Hi! How's that quiver work for you? Is there a lot of overlap between
            the 16.5 and the 12? I was also thinking of having the same quiver,or
            maybe if feasible go straight to a 10.0 as my high wind kite. Is that
            too large a gap?
            Francisco

            Callum,
            Is it at least as fast as an X2 16? I would assume that it also has a
            similar high end wind range as the X2 bec. you mentioned that it is
            easy to edge against. Did you personally like it after having flown
            it a few times?
            Francisco

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "vasvari54 <Shenmen@s...>"

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
              Francesco, these kites have quite a large wind range. My 12 and 16.5
              certainly overlap. In some days I have a choice between an easy ride
              or some high jumps. The 12 Gastra is certainly more powerful than
              the 12 Aero. I don't see much overlap between the GXR 12 and 8. I
              think you can manage with a 10 and a 16.5, as the 16.5 depowers very
              effectively, while the 10 would likely to get you going above 17
              knots. But I would not know for sure as I have not tried a 10. In a
              week or so I will know more about it, as my friend ordered a 10.
              Cheers,
              Andrash