Kitesurf St. Maarten

  • ecastelein <ecastelein@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      going for week...
      where is the best spot
      where is it allowed
      what is the best equipment / size to ride ??

      Tx

      Eric
    • philflying <ph.leclair@wanadoo.fr>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ecastelein <ecastelein@y...>"
        <ecastelein@y...> wrote:
        > going for week...
        > where is the best spot
        > where is it allowed
        > what is the best equipment / size to ride ??
        >

        > Tx
        >
        > Eric

        Go to Orient bay, this is the main place for windsurf and kitesurf.
        Go also to 'Le Galion' (just downwind to Orient bay), it is desert,
        pretty flat but with waves on the reef.
        Bring 16m2 and 12m2, you are likely to use the big sizes.

        Have Fun and Ride Safe
        Phil
      • philflying <ph.leclair@wanadoo.fr>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "philflying <ph.leclair@w...>"
          <ph.leclair@w...> wrote:
          > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ecastelein <ecastelein@y...>"
          > <ecastelein@y...> wrote:
          > > going for week...
          > > where is the best spot
          > > where is it allowed
          > > what is the best equipment / size to ride ??
          > >

          > > Tx
          > >
          > > Eric
          >
          > Go to Orient bay, this is the main place for windsurf and kitesurf.
          > Go also to 'Le Galion' (just downwind to Orient bay), it is desert,
          > pretty flat but with waves on the reef.
          > Bring 16m2 and 12m2, you are likely to use the big sizes.
          >
          > Have Fun and Ride Safe
          > Phil

          Check the current weather condition at:
          http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/TNCM.html

          Phil
        • flkitesurfer <flkitesurfer@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            If the Christmas winds or tradewinds are still on out of the NE, the
            Orient Bay area should be a good choice. Orient Bay itself can be
            quite crowded, particularly the more obvious launch near the
            kiteboarding school. You could launch about 1/2 mile further north
            off an undeveloped area between resort areas potentially.

            For a couple of large panoramic photos, including one with labeled
            details of Orient Bay checkout:

            http://gallery.kiteforum.com/

            Under -

            Album: North America Album: USA Album: RickI Album: Florida &
            Other Areas Album: St. Martin 11-2002

            There is the bay to the south shown in one of the panoramic photos.
            That launch is also good for winds out of the NE. There is a
            windsurfing concession there that may not be fully receptive to
            kiteboarders so I would keep low key and out of the area of the
            concession. They are few beachgoers along this bay.

            Have a great trip,
            Rick Iossi

          • fernmanus <fernmanus@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
              Eric,

              I went there a couple years ago in November. Orient Bay is pretty
              good, but the swell can be quite large and the beach is crowded.
              Galeon Bay nearby has flatter water, but you will need to be able to
              stay upwind or your sessions will be rather brief. Bring your full
              quiver. I used a 5.0, 7.5 and 15.5 Naish AR5 while I was there. I
              could have used a 21 on the last couple days.

              If you are a beginner, take lessons and take advantage of the jet
              ski to avoid the beach crowds and travel back upwind.

              Kenny