[ksurf] Re: Stoked

  • Todd Snyder
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 1, 1999
      I was thinking the same thing . I'm not an expert kitesurfer but do pretty good .
      I've been kitesurfing for about 8 months now. I started with the wipika 8.5 and
      then the f.one 6.5 a month later . I noticed right away that the f.one had a
      different pull to it and seemed more rangy than the wipika.I was beating people
      with the same skill and backround as me with the f.one .Even they noticed the
      difference when I would switch to the f.one from the wipika .But in my area the
      winds are never really all that steady or strong . In our windy season the winds
      blow from 12 to 22 knots and are surf is always 1 to 2 meters at best.Nothing like
      Hawaii.
      My conclusion was that it had to be the conditions. Am I wrong? How many foil
      kites were in the contest and does any body have the results? Who were on the
      foils ? Rapheal Salles comes from a windsurfing backround!!! Where did he
      place?Maybe I should should have gone over there and whoop some ass!!! Okay I can
      dream can't I .........; )

      David Trewern wrote:

      > > Enough for now, let the flames begin . . .
      >
      > This will definately not be a flame - but an observation, and a question...
      >
      > Being a non-kite flying oriented personl, and a begginer - I have had great
      > interest in the groups almost 'consensus' that Foils are much better in most
      > cases than the Inflatable style kites...
      >
      > Why then - was almost every person that won, or finished in the top 3 of each
      > event at the King of the Air using a Naish Kite?
      >
      > This even included the giant Slalom Race... Where were the guys on the foils?
      >
      > If foils offer such superior performance, and 'real kites' such as the KiteSki
      > are better too - then why didn't Raphael Salles or Cory Roesler win any
      > events? Even the race?
      >
      > The event seemed to be dominated by sailors with strong windsurfing
      > backgrounds... (yet another observation).
      >
      > Is it not possible that this sport could develop into it's own form of
      > kiteflying/ sailing, where things like kite turing speed and agility actually
      > become less important than simply kite power and stability when the kite is
      > locked in?
      >
      > In the long run - maybe the experienced foil makers are also the least open to
      > new ways of doing things - where the ex-windsurfing guys are looking for
      > something completely different?
      >
      > I'm not in a position to really comment from experience - because I've never
      > flown a foil - so what do you guys think?
      >
      > regards,
      >
      > David T

      > eGroup Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/
    • Christian Polini mat.1296
      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hello i'm a windsurfer and a new kitesurfer.
        I've to buy equipment but i think that i waiting next march...
        ...first because next 4 month in italy in too cold to learn kite
        and second because i think that next year the offert of material
        to kite increase:
        mistral will produce its kiteboard
        fanatic too
        art will produce wing
        ....and then ?
        Do you know other that will produce material for kitesurf ?
        Who ? When ? Price ?
        Can you tell me more information about ?
        Thank everybody can help me
        ALOHA

        Christian Polini
        e-mail: polini@...