[ksurf] Wind directions and variations

  • Martin Rothwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1998
      Hello everyone!

      I hope somebody out there with more sailing experience and wind
      knowledge can answer the following question which I will try to make and
      explain as simple as possible:

      When you are selecting a venue to Kitesurf will a high cliff at the back
      of a narrow beach effect the the behaviour of the wind? Where I live in
      the UK I have a beach that is quite long but not very wide. The distance
      between the waters edge and the cliff face is probably only 20-30 metres
      (more at low tide) and the cliff rises to quite a height (on a light
      wind they paraglide)....My question is as follows..........If for
      instance the wind is cross or on-shore will it be possible and safe to
      sail or will the wind hitting a cliff as it comes of the sea make the
      kite fly badly?

      I hope someone has an answer. Since starting to kitesurf I have found
      that not only do you need to learn to fly the kite and control the board
      but more imporantly you need to understand the wind.

      Thanks in advance

      Martin
      UK Kitesurfer (trying to be anyway).