[ksurf] Re: Stoked too! and question

  • burgy@talk21.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 1999
      I've been flying for 10 years, mostly at gusty inland small venues, and
      never had an acident. Sure i've had scrapes & knocks but nothing
      serious. Ever year you hear about a couple of people localy who have
      hurt them selves when flying over land why?

      here are a few of the comon problems from around our way

      NOT STANDING UP
      when flying on land dont sit down, you have no room to react to the
      kite powering up, if the kite trys to lift you bend your knees & lean
      back till the gust passes, if your sitting down you,ll get lifted &
      dropped one broken leg & one dislocated knee becuse of this.

      TO MUCH GRIP ON YOUR SHOES
      seams strange this one but if you slip down wind the pull will be
      reduced plus its fun, not seen any direct damage from this but the
      superman impressions resulting from the pull look fairly painfull.

      PEOPLE HOLDING ON TO YOU
      dont let anyone hold on to you when flying without a harness, there
      weigth will go straight through your arms, If youve ever dislocated you
      elbow then you'll know how much it hurts. Anchoring your self to the
      ground will also be a hazard to your health.

      LONG LINES
      This is particualy relevant to inland flyers, The strength of the wind
      is dependant on the hight from the floor, inland not only do you have
      this wind gradent to contend with you will also get huge holes at
      verying heights. At my local site its not unusual to hav 3 or 4
      distinct bands of wind, at ground level you have trouble getting off
      the ground 10 feet up it flys, 25 it pulls well, over 50, oh my god!
      armergedon, msot people arnt aware of this & why should they be? short
      lines will help with this they also reduce the amount of pull the kite
      will create helping the problem.

      the problem most new flyers seam to have is on one beleives how much
      pull a modern kite will produce, we've all tryed to explane what we do
      in our spare time no one fullyaprecates what its like till they have
      had a go.
      An experance flyer i know upgraded from a set of v old quadrafoils to
      some loverly new blades he'd heard about how much they pull so he tied
      himself o a rugby post so he wouldnt disapear off down wind, he didnt,
      he went straight up, scared him self silly and didnt fly again for 4
      months.

      What we do is dangerous, there are inherant risks, no one can predict
      the future and even experanced flyers make misakes. its up the
      manufactures to make sure people are aware of what there flying and how
      it will perform but even then not everyone will read what they say.

      So be aware of your suroundings, watch out for those people who stand
      under your kite staring up at it thinking is'nt it pretty, is this just
      some thing that happens in the uk? and dont be afraid to put yor kite
      away before things get beond your control.

      Kites are fun, jumpings fun, just remember its a fine line between fun
      & folly

      just my 2 cents worth
      Steve

      "stephen mccormack" <kitepowe-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=6389
      > Hi Antonio,
      > Should all kitchen knife manufacturers be blamed
      for all
      > the stabbings that happen? Should all care makers be blamed for the
      > outrageous behaviour of some motorists? Should I be blamed for the
      behavior
      > of a kiteflyer who ignores my safety recommendations and goes out
      flying
      > drunk in offshore conditions on a crowded beach? He certainly was not
      drunk
      > when I sold him the kite and He got about one hour of my time and
      could fly
      > it OK when he left me, luckily no-one has been hurt by this guy yet.
      > I suggest you rethink who is responsible for your actions and
      > Goodwinds
      > Steve McCormack
      > www.kitepoweraustralia.com
      > kitepower@...

      INSTRUCTION!
      > > LIFE RISK INVOLVED!"

      > > Hi all! I am a beguiner kitesurfer from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and
      this
      > > last sunday I made my first try at Kitesurfing. The equipament I
      was using
      > > was an 8.5 Wipika kite and a 6'8" Timpone kite board. I aquired
      this kit
      > > trough the Internet from Hawaiian Pro Line (they were very helpfull
      and
      > the
      > > transaction went very smootly - thanks Karen Baxter and Mauricio).
      Reading
> [...]
      to the
      > > windsock mast. I swam back to shore and started geting the kite
      ready. My
      > > plan was to get the kite flying, drift sideways to the sandbar
      where I
      > > could get a foot holding and try to stand up in the course-board
      using
      > very
      > > little kite power, and try to cross the lake very slowly, allways
      keeping
      > > the kite at the top of the window, just to get the feeling of it.
      > > Problems started again when launching the kite, as the kite holders
      again
      > > made a mess and the kite ended again in the trees. This time where
      much
      > > lower trees, but kind of a mangroove tree (very twisted and
      sticky). Many
      > > more time puling and tugging to free the whole shit. I have read
      about how
      > > Wipika kites are fragile and that they burst easily, but this one
      survived
      > > two tree landings and came out without a single scratch! The crowd
      had
      > lost
      > > interest and most where just siting on the lake shore only watching
      and
      > > laghing. Then plan B started working fine. I got the kite flying,
      drifted
      > > to the sandbar and unstraped the waiting board from the windsock
      mast. A
      > > this point I got cheers from the crowd on shore. People where
      starting to
      > > bealive that I was going to make it.
      > > One last problem remained. I had to lower myself and strap the
      leash to my
      > > ankle. One moment of mental lapse, and I let the kite fly to low
      and start
      > > draging me again, the kite getting dangerously close to a
      windsurfing
      > > student that was passing by. To avoid a disaster a let go of the
      board to
      > > try to control the kite, got draged to deep water again, without
      the board
      > > and with more cheers from the crowd. I was again with the kite a
      the top
      > of
      > > the window drifting downwind at a considerable rate. I had no
      option but
      > > pull the quick realese and let the kite fall. I swam to shore,
      friends
      > > retrieved my lost board and I decided to call it a day. The crowd
      > imediatly
      > > dispersed like it was the end of a show. I know I had done
      everything
      > > wrong, and probably put the lives and property of other people at
      risk
      > more
      > > than my own. But there is no denying. I had a blast!!

    • Frank Kubin
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 1999
        <<We begginers are very keen to learn - and take things slowly if need be...
        There seems to be a bit of criticism of learners on this group - and lots
        of repeated emails saying how were all going to kill people, and we dont
        know what we are doing etc.
        A more constructuve approach might be for the 'experts' to pass on their
        experiences so that learners know what to expect in different situations,
        and when things go wrong.
        Otherwise - the only way to learn is the hard way...
        How was thins guy suppossed to know that his kite could end up on
        some ones house - with out being told as too what can go wrong?>>

        Point #1-They are called 'POWER' kites for a reason. Anything strong enough
        to lift a grown man out of the water is producing a large amount of power.
        Would you stick your hand in a sailboat winch? Think of the kite as a large
        sail and the lines as the main sheets (lines).

        Rule #1- Do Not fly over people or near damageable property. This includes
        any where along the lines.

        <<I (very catiously) ventured out in 20-25 knots today with my new 9.0meter
        Naish kite - as I need to know more about what happens in strong wind, in
        case
        I find myself suddendly in strong wind when I'm not ready for it.
        So I went to a big beach, with now one around, and someone to help.
        It wasn't much fun, and was quite scary - and I was very hard to keep from
        being picked up and slamed onto the beach at times...
        I had one run on the board - and was quite out of control. So I packed up
        after about 20mins.>>

        Then you were smart enough to try something unknown in a totally safe (for
        others) area. So should everyone until they know what these large kites are
        capable of. Any reading of this egroup would reveal that 20-25 knots is ALOT
        for a 9.0 Naish. An experienced person would be riding at the limits of
        control. It can be useful to try out of control situations to see what
        happens at the limits, as you said, but ALWAYS in a very safe (to others)
        area.